Can anyone identify this movement?

Thread: Can anyone identify this movement?

Can anyone identify this movement?

Does anybody recognize this movement? It seems like a very basic 1-jewel(!) Chronograph?
    Anyone can confirm this? Or am I missing some jewels?

Thanks!

Name:  600787264_o.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  176.4 KB

Re: Can anyone identify this movement?

Looks like an "EB" ebauch mark under the balance, so likely: bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: EB 8420
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thank you. So it's a 1-jewel movement? It's hard to read but it seems like the movement says one 1 jewel.
    The link says there are supposed to be two types? 1-jewel and 17-jewel pieces.
    Last edited by 104RS; July 17th, 2013 at 20:44.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Roland's database lists variants he knows about or has seen; there may have been others with more or less jewels. The movement is a pretty basic stamped-metal pin-lever design, the vast majority of which were probably one jewel. However, different vendors may have choosen to add additional jewels in order to "dress up" the watch; such watches would likely prominently display "17 jewels" on the dial in the hopes that the consumer would think they were higher quality jeweled lever designs (17jewels is somewhat of a magic number to watch consumers). This one is the more honest "one jewel" version. Simple and functional. Probably not worth a great deal, either then or now, but an excellent example of how to squeeze a lot of functionality into a low-cost watch.

Thanks so much for your clarification.
    Will these movements, when in proper condition keep time any good? In other words, is this kind of movement/watch really usable?
    I do realise that older mechanical watches always gain or loose some time, but since this is pretty basic, is this movement likely to run extremely unaccurate?
    Or are we just speaking about a few minutes gain or loss in time per 24h?

Depends on the watch; pin levers were never designed for accuracy really, but a modern one like this ought to be at least as good as a turn-of-the-century watch IIF it's regularly cleaned and oiled. (i.e., within a minute or two per day). Of course, the cost of servicing a watch like this usually exceeds the value of the watch, so most people just don't do it, and run the watch until it stops keeping good time. By that point, the pivots and bearings have become worn out.

Thread Information