Can Anyone Please Tell Me About This Watch? Liga

Thread: Can Anyone Please Tell Me About This Watch? Liga

Can Anyone Please Tell Me About This Watch? Liga

Hi

My parents have found out my nans old watch and i'd like to find out some more information on it. It says Liga on the front, although it looks like part of the A is missing. A quick google reveals this company did exist making watches.

The only other thing i know about it, is that its a manual wind, and on the back it says "Stainless stealback 1 2 6 7". Its a great old thing, which still amazingly works, its sat here ticking along nicely now, but i doubt its ever been serviced.

Im assumung its not worth a lot, and would never be sold anyway as it has too much sentimental value, so i was wondering if anyone here could tell me a bit more about it? year / model / possible movement / value (if any!). Ive uploaded a few pictures although its hard to get a clear one of the face.
    It would also be nice to have it lightly restored.

Cheers
    James
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stowa Marine Original Roman
    Citizen Eco-Drive Nighthawk WR200

Re: Can Anyone Please Tell Me About This Watch? Liga

There's not a lot to be found about Liga. "The FABRIQUE D'HORLOGERIE LIGA S.A established in Solothurn in Switzerland produced watches in the 50's under the brands LIGA, ARTA, RENOVA, REVIDA, SOLORA, and STADION."

Its unlikely that there was a model name; we don't attempt valuations - but (as you suspect) its not a particularly sought after brand. I would think 1930's or maybe 1940's - hard to say. A picture of the movement would help to date it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thanks for that mate :)

I wouldn't like to attempt to take the back off. I wouldn't know where to start! Thanks for the information anyway.

Ive not been able to find out anything about it, seems information on Liga is scarce!
    Stowa Marine Original Roman
    Citizen Eco-Drive Nighthawk WR200

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The style of the lugs makes me think 20's. The position of the small second suggests that there's a "round" movement in there, which I tend to associate with the late 20's when rectangular watches became popular.

The "Liga" trademark was registered in the US by "Liga Watch Manufactory, Soleure, Switzerland" in 1924, claiming use from 1921. That lines up with the watch style.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

[QUOTE=AbslomRob;3263708]The style of the lugs makes me think 20's. The position of the small second suggests that there's a "round" movement in there, which I tend to associate with the late 20's when rectangular watches became popular.

The "Liga" trademark was registered in the US by "Liga Watch Manufactory, Soleure, Switzerland" in 1924, claiming use from 1921. That lines up with the watch style.[

I have an old LIGA as well...anyone know if it is worth restoring?

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

For that, we'd have to see some detailed pictures or at least know what exactly is wrong with it. If it only needs a service, the general rule is that a) it is never worth restoring for the purpose of selling (Liga isn't a big enough name) unless you do it yourself or can get it done for free, but b) it is usually worth servicing if you are going to wear it reasonably regularly. Like everything else, the value for the purpose of sale is rarely as much as the value for the purpose of use.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by TOK7tee View Post
    I have an old LIGA as well...anyone know if it is worth restoring?
    Me too! I fell in love with the military vibe, aged lume, and patina of this one. For the price (about $25) I couldn't say no. Although I was told it had been recently serviced, it lasted less than a year before it stopped working. Faced with the dilemma about whether it was worth restoring or not I reached the same conclusion as the above post and figured I would hang onto it for a while so why not? It cost more than twice what I paid for the watch to service and the guy ended up breaking the lume on the hand (and didn't bother to even mention it when I picked it up!) He also replaced the original crown with a gold coloured one that is abit out of odds with the case. Still, it's working well and I'm glad I kept the old boy going even if, financially speaking, I'd probably never get a return on the cost.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Thread Information