Can anyone tell me about this Renown Watch? AF inside case- some kind of hallmark on side. Gold?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Watchbreath
  • 1 Post By balaton

Thread: Can anyone tell me about this Renown Watch? AF inside case- some kind of hallmark on side. Gold?

Can anyone tell me about this Renown Watch? AF inside case- some kind of hallmark on side. Gold?

Can anyone tell me about this Renown Watch? AF inside case- some kind of hallmark on side. Gold? If you can tell me anything you know or point me in the right direction. Curious about the writing inside too. What does it all mean?
    Name:  IMG_2029 3.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  1.37 MBName:  IMG_2032.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  1.34 MB

Re: Can anyone tell me about this Renown Watch? AF inside case- some kind of hallmark on side. Gold?

Inside, might be marks left by watchmakers after servicing.
    Champagne InHand likes this.

Re: Can anyone tell me about this Renown Watch? AF inside case- some kind of hallmark on side. Gold?

Any chance of showing us some pics of the movement?

Regards.
    Champagne InHand likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don’t know anything about which company made the movement but a lot of older 1950’s G.P. Movements were put into watches similar to this.

While there is no see Gold Hallmark, there is “somebody’s “maker” hallmark seen here.
    A, F with a watch seconds hand in between. You will need to research this. There are watchmakers scratching in that case with dates but from the looks it could be anywhere from 9k to 18k. But you would have to have a jeweler verify that. The ability to scratch a watchmakers note shows it’s gold or a soft metal like silver plated with gold, but it doesn’t look plated to me.

However the lack of a fine metal hallmark that’s required in the UK and USA on precious metals post 1916 makes it quite confusing and much harder to verify. Too many counterfeiting outfits world wide. You could scratch a bit o see if you can get past any suspected playing but I would let a jeweler do that.

Happy researching. Perhaps those on the vintage thread might have some idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the bracelet end links it does show a hallmark that reads 16 KRGP.

This would be 16 karat real gold plated. So odds are that this isn’t something extremely valuable but more for overall looks. G.P. Puts their hallmarks and initials all over their vintage stuff. Likely this was a franken build at some pint combining costume stuff and a different caseback which is extremely common.

The bracelet marking looks to be "10K RGP". That would be 10 karat Rolled Gold Plate, a similar material to gold fill but generally with thinner gold layers. However, that's on the bracelet which may not directly bear on the material of the watch case as it the bracelet may not be original to the watch.

It does look like some brassing is showing on the case bezel, (see bottom right hand corner), unless it's just the lighting. If it's brassed then the case would also be RGP (or gold fill). The watch looks a bit early for gold electroplating.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby992 View Post
    The bracelet marking looks to be "10K RGP". That would be 10 karat Rolled Gold Plate, a similar material to gold fill but generally with thinner gold layers. However, that's on the bracelet which may not directly bear on the material of the watch case as it the bracelet may not be original to the watch.

It does look like some brassing is showing on the case bezel, (see bottom right hand corner), unless it's just the lighting. If it's brassed then the case would also be RGP (or gold fill). The watch looks a bit early for gold electroplating.
    My eyes are week. 10k rather than 16k but the back is a separate piece than the movement, bracelet and such. Gold fill was all to common in the 50s and 60s.

Here is the requested picture of the movement ... I’m overwhelmed with the quick and informative responses. This is a really helpful community! Appreciate you all and your assistance. There is a small hallmark on the side of the case exterior - but worn significantly
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here are a few pics of the case back (with numbers) and above the numbers a worn hallmark above as well
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information