Can anyone tell me anything about Record watches?

Thread: Can anyone tell me anything about Record watches?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ajf

Can anyone tell me anything about Record watches?

Since I got interested in watches I have had a look at a watch that was left to me by a relative but have never worn as feared damaging it.

It is marked on the dial as RECORD and underneath De Luxe and I think says swiss made at the 6 position.
    It is from 1973.
    Can anyone tell me anything about the manufacturer or model?
    The watch is gold coloured but no idea whether it is actually gold or gold plated.
    Will try and get couple photos up later.

Andrew

Re: Can anyone tell me anything about Record watches?

Record was a less-expensive sub-brand of Longines. Some pictures might help determine if this is actually what you have.

ajf

Here are some photos I have just taken.
    I noticed the bracelet also has 'montal' engraved on each link? There is also a patent number. Unfortunately bracelet is too big for my wrist! I guess it would need servicing before winding now anyway? Not used in at least 20 years.
    Case back is blank except for personal engraving.

Andrew

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quick summary of what's in my book on wristwatches ("Wristwatches/Armbanduhren/Montres-baceletss" by Brunnder & Pfeiffer-Belli):

Record was founded in 1903 in Tramelan as the Record Dreadnought S.A. In 1944, the first watches with hammer automatic movements were introduced, rotor automatics in 1952. Longines acquired Record in 1961 but the company did not survive the quartz crisis.

So, Record was not a sub-brand of Longines but an originally independent company that was bought up and integrated into the "Longines group" (if I may use the term in a loose sense). Rather like Longines now being inside the Swatch group. There is currently a Zeno wrist watch made with limited old stock of an old Record PW movement - at the very reasonable price of under 1000 Euros!

Hartmut Richter

These are the notes that I have for Record which support some of both the prior posts and also add a tiny bit:

1903: Founded by a group with the purpose to aquire and realise the patent of the Sector Watch, a triangular pocket watch with retrograde display.
    1916: Merger with several companies under the name Record Dreadnought Watch Co. S.A., with a broad collection of all kinds of clocks, watches, and movements. Brands and names of the involved companies continued to be used.
    1949: The original name Record Watch Co. S.A. was registered again.
    1960: A Record pocketwatch (calibre 435B) was the first Swiss watch to achieve wide acceptance on US railroads.
    1961: Longines bought the majority interest in Record. The brand Record continued - on some watches as Longines-Record. Some Record calibres were renamed as Longines calibres.
    1991: Record was closed.

PS - the Montal on the band is the company that made the band and has nothing to do with the rest of the watch

ajf

Thank you very much for the information and very interesting.
    I am reluctant to open the watch but I guess the movement would be fairly standard? Did they build their own at this stage or would it be an ETA movment?

I assume given it was part of the 'longines group' that it would have been a reasonable if not high end watch when it was new?
    Is it likely to have come with the montal bracelet or might my relative have added this at some point? it is intriguing to look at as it stretches which I have not seen before. Clever design.

Should I look at getting it serviced maybe?

Finally, I have to ask, but does it have any value? I am never going to part with it as it has special personal value to me but still ncei to know.

Thanks again

Andrew

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ajf View Post
    Thank you very much for the information and very interesting.
    I am reluctant to open the watch but I guess the movement would be fairly standard? Did they build their own at this stage or would it be an ETA movment?

I assume given it was part of the 'longines group' that it would have been a reasonable if not high end watch when it was new?
    Is it likely to have come with the montal bracelet or might my relative have added this at some point? it is intriguing to look at as it stretches which I have not seen before. Clever design.

Should I look at getting it serviced maybe?

Finally, I have to ask, but does it have any value? I am never going to part with it as it has special personal value to me but still ncei to know.

Thanks again

Andrew
    As the watch has a personal value to you, I would recommend that you service it so that it may be worn on occasion. It is a special priviledge to be able to wear and use (as opposed to merely owning) something such as a watch which, through its history, connects you to something or somebody of significance.

If you choose to have it serviced, the watchmaker will be able to give you a much better idea of theoretical value (my watchmaker always has a copy of Shugart on his desk). A more practical idea of value can be obtained by looking for vintage Swiss watches of a similar grade and appearance on ebay. Your watchmaker will be able to tell you more about the quality of the case (e.g. the gold content) and the type of movement.

Regarding the cross-stretch bracelet. It is an aftermarket item, but matches the age of the watch so it was probably fitted at time of purchase. You're lucky that you've got a good quality, well designed bracelet as some stretch bracelets can distort badly with prolonged use, and many are not adjustable (I've got a few like that ). However be warned that cross-stretch pattern can be a terrible hair puller unless adjusted to your exact size. Like I said, your lucky to have the adjustment screws on yours.

Chascomm has given you a brilliant reply. I heartily agree with getting it serviced and wearing it as it is quite a lovely piece.
    Normally I hate expansion bands but this one matches the watch very well so just get your watchmaker to fit the band for you when you get it serviced. If you do decide to change the band a nice leather strap would go well. Choose a higher quality one though.
    Thanks for posting.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

ajf

Again thank you for the replies. Also nice to know the bracelet is adjustable as I did not know that. However very cautious of wearing it :)

I am going to look at having it serviced though. I have spoken to my father and he actually knows a watchmaker/repairer who is a member of the British Horological Institute. Hopefully even if he does not want to work on it himself he may now someone I can trust who can.
    Not sure I want to just take it to any high street jewellers!

I will let you know the outcome!

Hi Andrew,

of course I must aggree with bjohnson's contribution, but it wasn't complete.
    Get the missing informations here:
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...swk&Record_000

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information