Can I have your opinions on this Omega DeVille?

Thread: Can I have your opinions on this Omega DeVille?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can I have your opinions on this Omega DeVille?

Well, the quest for my first "real" watch continues.
    I know that it's a hard task to find a vintage watch with some value within my budget but I've nothing to loose.
    Now I've my eye on this Omega DeVille Quartz.
    What can you tell me about it? What do you think of its' condition?
    I already asked the vendor for pictures of the movement. Waiting...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Can I have your opinions on this Omega DeVille?

Urm... no crown. Does it work, hard to even tell without a second hand. A ladies watch?

You can get a nice watch if you are patient. Something you love that is also in better condition will surely come along.

Do you think this is a ladys' watch?
    I like the styling.
    I'm being pacient. I've all the time in the world:)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't know if it is a ladies watch - the lack of a second hand makes me think it might be, but I don't know. I have never had much to do with these quartz Omegas, it very much was the low point for the brand.

If you like the square look, there are plenty of nice Art Deco watches with lovely movements. Have you looked at Gruen Curvex or veri-thins?

I really didn't want a quartz either. I just liked the shape and it's always an Omega.
    I didn't knew the Gruen brand. What do you know about it?
    I've found this one in ebay and looooove it:

RARE SOLID 14K ROSE GOLD 40S VINTAGE GRUEN CURVEX ! - eBay (item 150520858561 end time Nov-22-10 18:54:14 PST)

What do you mean by veri-thins?

Gruens until the mid 40s were top quality. They originally shared a movement production facility with Rolex (Alpina) until some time in the 20s I think. There is a lot on there history out there on the web.

The veri-thin was a cheaper range than curvex, but very very nice watches. The quality ones are marked 'precision'.

I have a few from the 40s - a couple of Pan Ams (cal. 420ss), a military 'Dix' and a couple of their early bumpers (cal. 460ss). A curvex is on my list, and I'd love an early veri-thin as well.

The watch you linked to is very nice. I don't know if it is a redial, it may be, or it may not. But being solid gold - it will fetch a fair bit. You should be able to find a gold filled curvex or veri-thin model that is quite similar that will be quite a lot more wallet friendly.

Also, look at some Hamiltons with the 982 movement from the 30s-50s. Absolutely magnificent movement, but a little smaller than a curvex/verithin so perhaps not quite as wearable. That said, I have one that I am presently restoring, and I think it looks fine on the wrist.
    Last edited by trim; November 17th, 2010 at 08:25.

Thank you very much.
    What do you think of the one in the link?

I'm not really a fan of Hamilton. But thanks.
    Last edited by tintasuja; November 17th, 2010 at 08:30.

Lol, I edited my original post. Have a look back there.

I've since read the description and it is a refinished dial. The movement looks in great order. I think it will sell for quite a bit - you might be better looking for a gold-filled case.

Personally, if I had the money I'd love to own one like that - but I would probably hold out for an original dial, even though they are hard to find.
    Last edited by trim; November 17th, 2010 at 08:30.

I've been looking at the Veri-thins and they are awesome!
    I'll keep an eye on that one.
    Do you think that a refinished dial takes a lot of the value of a watch?

Yes, there are a lot of fantastic Gruen veri-thin watches. I do need to acquire a few myself

A refinished dial is something that does seem to damage collect-ability, something is original only once after all. Although in some sense, it depends on your priorities, if you want to wear it and enjoy it rather than collect it, a (well) refinished dial could suit you better as you will get much the same watch for (hopefully) less money.

I personally like a little patina and even sometimes wear on my watches, I think it imparts a feel for their history. I for instance particularly like my military watches to look old and worn, not new. That said, I have had a couple of dials refinished on some of my watches myself where they were basically unwearable - so I don't get too bent out of shape about it. Some people do.

Here is an example, a 1934 Rotary I got the dial refinished on, it was unwearable in the original state. Believe it or not, the following photo is actually flattering, to the eye most of the dial was simply grey.

I'd rather save and use the watch - particularly as it has a gold case and nice movement with a early shock protection device. Otherwise it would have been melted down for scrap:

Last edited by trim; November 17th, 2010 at 09:26.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information