Can I use watch winder with bumber automatic movement

Thread: Can I use watch winder with bumber automatic movement

Can I use watch winder with bumber automatic movement

hello everyone, i need some advice. just got a watch winder and want to use it for a gruen precision bumper auto from 1947. the watch works great and want to keep it running; i dont wear it often. Has anyone used a watch winder for this sort of watch. i would think that the movement of 120 degree rotor does not cause any special wear from being on a winder. Anyone with experience on this issue is appreciated.
    Last edited by automatico; January 29th, 2010 at 00:20.

Re: Can I use watch winder with bumber automatic movement

I wouldn't recommend it. Mecanical watch winders didn't exist when this movement was designed. A bumper movement could have problems keeping would on the winder, as it takes more of an up-down movement pattern to wind, as opposed to a circular pattern for rotor automatics.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

There is little point to keeping a mechanical watch with no hard to set complications on a winder. But, as long as the winder rotates in both directions, it should wind and produce no additional wear to the mechanism.

However, I can't test this as I have no bumpers...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

i agree actually no complications and easy to set. i was just thinking of keeping it running for constant movement of lubrication on the moving parts. this is probably for another thread regarding the benefit of winders, thanks for your input.
    Last edited by automatico; January 29th, 2010 at 02:03.

<shrug> the amount of oil that should exist on a properly serviced watch is very small, and should stay in place from capiliary action; it shouldn't move. So keeping it "moving" shouldn't ever be a problem. The winding mechanism, on the other hand, should have been lubricated with more "grease" like substances that again, souldn't move.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Hi -

+1!

The idea that you need to keep a watch's movement moving in order to prevent it from sticking up is a legend at this point, as modern lubricants, based on synthetic oils rather than natural oils, simply doesn't age the way the old natural oils would and did age.

To use an analogy: while you might want to start up a vintage car every now and then to ensure proper functioning, a modern car, as long as the battery is charged, can easily be stored for several years with no ill effects, especially if the oils used are synthetics.

The same is true for a recently refurbished watch: the watchmaker will have used modern oils (since the natural oils are increasingly hard to find!) to lubricate it, and you should be able to store the watch for several years without using it at all and still expect reasonable behavior.

I've got a lovely old Gruen bumper that I wear whenever the desire to do so strikes me, and the time-keeping qualities of the watch haven't changed in the 4 years or so that I've had the watch: outstanding. It had been completely overhauled after I bought it used by a master watchmaker and keeps +3s/day.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Irrespective of the discussion about the need to keep a watch running constantly or not, the main thing about bumpers is that they all only wind in one direction. Even then, unlike a unidirectional rotor winding watch (which rotates freely and uselessly if wound in the wrong direction), the fact that the bumper weight will stop after a certain extent will make sure that it will always oscillate to and fro on a winder. It's just a matter whether the winding phase is on the slow ascent or the rapid descent! I'm not sure which will wear the watch out more but either way should be associated with minimal overall wear.....

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information