can someone give me information about this vintage chronograph please?

Thread: can someone give me information about this vintage chronograph please?

can someone give me information about this vintage chronograph please?

Hello, I've been reading these forums for a while but had no need to register or create a thread so far.

I am currently in Cuba and found (what I consider) a beautiful vintage chronograph labelled as cuervo y sobrinos. The guy who sells it wants around 300 dollars for it, which for me is quite an investment, so I wanted to get some information on it first.

The guy says its a swiss watch, as far as I can tell cuervo y sobrinos were the only ones allowed to import watches to the island and labelled it under their name.

Its a chronograph with breguet numerals and I would like to know if someone can tell me the watch brand and/or model as well as if its worth the money he asks for it.

Internet access here is expensive and sparse so I can't do the research i d like to do on it.

If necessary I can provide a bit better quality pictures (this is a photo of a photo).

The guy says he can regulate it properly, would the watch still be worth it if I had to spend further 300-400 euros to repair it if it should have any damage/issues?
    Is there anything I should look out for? It would be nice to have a photo of the original movement to see if this watch was altered. Please let me know if you need further info and thanks a lot on advance.

@mods: Feel free to move the thread if o posted in the wrong forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: can someone give me information about this vintage chronograph please?

A movement photo would be useful. Cuervo y Sobrinos is a luxury goods retailer located in Havana. They apparently were (and still are) importing Swiss movements and fit them with their own cases and dials. Even now, they're selling two chronograph models fitted with old movements- the Landeron 248 and a Venus 188. Might be one of these movements in the watch you're interested in.
    Here's the link to their page:
    sales of luxury watches, high brand watches, Swiss watches, jewelery and luxury items
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Moderator German Watches Forum

Welcome to watchuseek.

Though I could not put a value on it, if the watch is genuine and operating
    correctly it looks like your risk would be minimal at that price. I don't follow
    the brand, but to my eye those hands do not look right for the watch. I
    suggest looking at the movement. See if you can get some well lit, sharp
    photos.

Thanks,
    rationaltime

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks a lot for your help. Sadly, I did not think of taking a photo of the movement (first time buying a used watch). I'll try to upload the higher quality picture as soon as I can. If anyone can provide further info in the meantime that would be much appreciated. I have around a week left to decide. A nice day to you all.

Hi and welcome
    Its a nice watch with probably a strong ETA movement.
    If it works $300 is a steal.
    If not then repair $200/300 still is a nice buy.

The bottom (Unicos Importa Dores) is I believe Spanish for Unique Import Dores; where 'DORES' may have been the retailer/jeweler - not sure
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; February 19th, 2015 at 22:22.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Welcome to the Vintage forum. Cuervo y Sobrinos (translates to "Cuervo & Nephews") were located in Havanna but closed down after the revolution. The brand has been resurrected in recent years but is now located in Capolago, Switzerland. Your watch, if genuine, will probably be vintage so from the fifties or early sixties and house a generic Swiss movement. Before I can say whether it is genuine or not, I would have to see the insides. CyS is unfortunately regarded highly enough these days to make it worth faking! The chronograph seconds hand looks as if the tip has broken off - it is too short.

sales of luxury watches, high brand watches, Swiss watches, jewelery and luxury items

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Hi and welcome
    Its a nice watch with probably a strong ETA movement.
    If it works $300 is a steal.
    If not then repair $200/300 still is a nice buy.

The bottom (Unicos Importa Dores) is I believe Spanish for Unique Import Dores; where 'DORES' may have been the retailer/jeweler - not sure
    Unicos importadores means sole importers as in the only ones allowed to import. The subdial hand at 3 o clock looks slightly damaged and the dial has some light discoloring, which doesn't bother me. I wouldn't think its faked as such, rather that it has been messed with as in some hands replaced, or the movement somehow manipulated. Thank you for all your input, sadly I still can't upload the higher res pics, hope I can do it over the next 2 days. Best regards

Thread Information