Can someone help me find out about this watch?

Thread: Can someone help me find out about this watch?

Can someone help me find out about this watch?

Everything I know about watches I have found out in the last three days, so bear with me. I recently inherited this watch from my dad. It is an Omega 14K gold filled bumper automatic. I opened it up, and the serial number inside is 1131xxxx. It has a Wadsworth case (case number: T912976), and the reference number on the inside of the case is F6212. I looked on the Omega website, and it seems there were two types of F6212. One was a 342 caliber, and the other was 344. I assume this is the 342 caliber, since the 344 was apparently a chronometer. I had always assumed he bought it in the late 50s, when he was a student in Europe, but now it seems more likely he bought it when he lived in D.C. in the late 40s and 50s. Anyway, I'm wondering about the face. I have looked at pictures of thousands of watches to find another one like it, and only found it once, in an ad in a 1948 Life magazine. Did automatic watches always say 'Automatic'? This one doesn't.
    If someone could give me any information at all about this watch, I'd be very grateful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Can someone help me find out about this watch?

The spacing on the word "omega" looks off...assuming the rest of the movement looks okay, I'd guess someone did a dial restoration at one point. All the auto-wind Omega's I've seen say "automatic", but that may say more about my limited exposure to Omega's.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Banned

Rob is correct - the dial was refinished at some point. Very common with those watches as the original finish was prone to serious degradation over the years. That serial number puts the watch around 1948, but that doesn't mean it was sold in the same year.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    The spacing on the word "omega" looks off...assuming the rest of the movement looks okay, I'd guess someone did a dial restoration at one point. All the auto-wind Omega's I've seen say "automatic", but that may say more about my limited exposure to Omega's.

That ^^^^ and the fact the the Omega logo looks a tad close to the letters to my eye tells me this has 'had some work done' as the chaps have said, but I doubt by Omega?!!

This is some info on the 342 mov't... bidfun-db Omega_342: Omega 342

Found this with ba Wadsworth case, altho the dial is different.. bidfun-db 1185375817: 991: Gents Omega Bumper Automatic, 1950

Thanks a million, folks! I suspected as much, and even wondered if it might not be a fake. I had it serviced recently by a terrific watchmaker here in Berlin though, and he said it wasn't.

I'm wondering if the dial didn't originally look something like the watch on the left here, though of course mine is a much more basic watch:
    1948 Omega Jubilee bumper automatic chronometres

I'm considering having the dial restored, but then of course it will remind me less of my dad. If I do, how do I go about finding someone skilled to do it?

Thread Information