Can someone help me identify this Omega from the 70s?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By v8chrono
  • 1 Post By Roland Ranfft

Thread: Can someone help me identify this Omega from the 70s?

Can someone help me identify this Omega from the 70s?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/sweet-Mid-7...19.m1438.l2649

I'm still educating myself about vintage watches, so I don't know what to think about the condition of this watch. Looks pretty rough!

Thanks.

Re: Can someone help me identify this Omega from the 70s?

The description in the listing seems pretty accurate to me.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Thanks. I thought most Omegas of that era had a name. Seamaster, DeVille, Constellation. I don't see a name on the watch or in the description.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

1974 according to the serial number, it looks rough in the pictures, so I would seek another. Not Omegas finest hour either, the design is unremarkable and the movements are a pale imitation of the ones from the decade before, spend slightly more and get yourself one of these.

Mid 1960s Seamaster De ville.

Name:  nnn 020.JPG
Views: 101
Size:  880.7 KB
    jk1492 likes this.

I tend to think it is basically a Geneve model like this one: https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...a-st-166-0169/

For some reason, it just doesn't say Geneve on the dial.

Looks way to rough for the amount of money the seller is asking for.

Plus it is in a gold plated case which is not as desirable as the stainless steel models

While it is true that the 1970's Omega watches have lost a lot of flair that the 1950's and 1960's Omega watches have, they still are pretty nice. and they can make a cheap entry into the world of Omega.

I just bought this Omega for $150.00 plus shipping on Sunday. It was an award watch. It is gold plated but it is a nice Omega for the money. I love award watches. Here are the seller's pics

As for the Geneve line, Omega had no rhyme or reason for what was what. I have 3 Omega F300hz watches. All are the same(same case and dial) but one just says Omega, another says Seamaster and the other says Geneve. So there you have it, 3 Omega watches that look the same but have different names on the dial
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Omega in that ebay ad is way too expensive, given its condition and the fact that it's in a gilt case. I agree with V8chrono in that you might want to invest your money rather into a proper Seamaster. (I do not agree with the notion that the later 10xx movements are bad - Omega's reputation had been harmed by the 100x series, but their weak spots had been fixed in the later issues, 101x/102x.)

Best
    Andreas
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat1960 View Post
    The Omega in that ebay ad is way too expensive, given its condition and the fact that it's in a gilt case. I agree with V8chrono in that you might want to invest your money rather into a proper Seamaster. (I do not agree with the notion that the later 10xx movements are bad - Omega's reputation had been harmed by the 100x series, but their weak spots had been fixed in the later issues, 101x/102x.)

Best
    Andreas
    By proper Seamaster, are you including a Seamaster DeVille?

Basically, where do the vintage Omegas rank as far as quality and desirability (subjective I know)?

I'm thinking something like (for the 60s era): Speedmaster >>>>>>>>> Seamaster >>>> Constellation >> Seamaster DeVille >>>> Geneve. How far off is that?

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by jk1492 View Post
    Basically, where do the vintage Omegas rank as far as quality and desirability
    Particular features can be compared, over-all quality not. The desirability a matter of the market: High prices boost the desirability, and high desirability boosts the prices. Once this engine is started, it will not stop until it bursts.

Due to the visitors frequency in my movement archive I'm pretty sure I could initiate such avalanche for any arbitrary brand with fairly limited supply - just for fun.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    badbackdan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jk1492 View Post
    By proper Seamaster, are you including a Seamaster DeVille?

Basically, where do the vintage Omegas rank as far as quality and desirability (subjective I know)?

I'm thinking something like (for the 60s era): Speedmaster >>>>>>>>> Seamaster >>>> Constellation >> Seamaster DeVille >>>> Geneve. How far off is that?
    This is far too simplistic. Seamaster models comprise a wide range; some are even chronometer grade, but desirability involves many variables, including case material, size, style etc. The later Seamaster models inform the 1970s in plated cases are not so desirable (IMO). Constellations generally have very high quality chronometer-grade movements, but their desirability also varies quite a bit depending on other factors. The "pie-pan" dials are more popular than others. Once you are into the DeVilles, Geneves, or un-named models, the model name becomes a minor factor. It's more a matter of the size, style, case material, movement quality, condition (!), etc. Spend some more time looking at these watches and you will learn by osmosis.

Thread Information