Can you help identify this Girard-Perregaux?

Thread: Can you help identify this Girard-Perregaux?

Can you help identify this Girard-Perregaux?

Hello

I'm trying to identify a Girard-Perregaux and I thought this would be the best place to ask for assistance

I couldn't find a mention of this brand anywhere else on the site so I thought I'd chance my arm here

There isn't a great deal of information on the watch itself, it has the name G-P underneath the twelve and "SWISS MADE" on the bottom of the face.

There is no information on the reverse of the face.

I'm aware this could be a fake but any information you have would be very welcome.

The pictures included have only one discrepancy, which is that the box is in fact purple and not blue.

Thanks for your time

Mr Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Can you help identify this Girard-Perregaux?

Moved to the suitable forum. Pls. no duplicate posts across our fora. TIA.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

G.P is a good make and I doubt that your watch is a fake although the dial may or may not be re-finished, other
    members with more expertise on this brand will know for sure.
    The watch looks 50's/60's to me, a pic of the movement and inside caseback will confirm the watches authenticity
    or not, but I've never seen a fake GP of this vintage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It is pretty likely, that this is a genuine Girard Perregaux, early 60ies (?). The combination of hands and dial/indexes look authentic to me. However I can't tell from Your pictures, whether the dial has been repainted - it looks very nice and clean (suspiciously clean). Please take a very close look at:
    1. The area around the indexes. For cheap repaints, they are often not removed, so You can see paint on their edges
    2. The "Swiss made" at the bottom. First good sign is, that it is not printed straight, but follows the curve of the glass. Look closely at the quality of the print.
    Very nice watch! You'll have to open the it and take a picture of the movement. Since it is not signed "automatic" - is it a manual wind? Are there luminous dots at the outer edge of the indexes?

Cheers guys

There are small yellow dots on the indexes and the print on the "swiss made" looks sound, although I don't really have anything to compare it to.
    There's also no paint on the sides of the indexes, all looks clean.

I can understand what you mean about it being suspiciously clean but it's been in it's box for years which could go some way to explaining that.

I'm not going to be opening the back up in case I damage anything, I think I'll leave that to a jeweller, although I'll update the thread when I get more information if you guys are interested.

I don't suppose you have any information about what series this may be a part of?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Joe View Post
    I don't suppose you have any information about what series this may be a part of?
    Most Swiss watches were not given model names back then. GP had the famous, and long running, Sea Hawk model, but yours was probably just marketed as a man's dress watch with a reference number. Its a fine-looking, classy, watch. I would guess mid-1960's.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thread Information