Can you help me identify this watch please?

Thread: Can you help me identify this watch please?

Can you help me identify this watch please?

Hi all,

I'm trying to identify this watch that belonged to my mum. I'm sure its at least 30 years old as I remember it when i was a kid, but is it older than that? It's quite heavy, but I'm not sure what the bracelet/strap is made out of - i couldn't find any hallmarks, but i could just make out the word microns, and that is it.

There is a serial number on the back of the watch - see pics, and all it says on the face is Baume.

baume1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    baume2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    baume3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Hope you can help

Thanks

Re: Can you help me identify this watch please?

Hi and welcome.

The term 'microns' is applied to gold-plated items, and the more there are the thicker the gold plate is - so 20 microns will be thicker and wear better than 10 microns.

The watch is somewhat hard to date as that style was used for a long time - my guess would be 1960s, but await other opinions. The brand is a decent, mid-range one. Baume - which is different from Baume et Mercier - sold watches under their own name as well as being the importers and distributors of Longines and Heuer watches in the UK.

Name:  Baume ad.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  37.3 KB

Name:  Baumead2.JPG
Views: 200
Size:  697.6 KB
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thanks Marrick, I was wondering why it was just Baume (and not Baume et Mercier).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Lifted from another site....... (watchsouce.co.uk)

The History of Baume and Mercier Watches originates from as far back as 1542 Native of Franche Comté, the Baume family settled in the Les Bois village in the Swiss Jura Mountains from 1542. Carrying out watch-manufacturing work (name given to subcontracting in watch-making at the time), the Baume's passed on their knowledge of watch mechanisms from father to son. In 1830 At the heart of a century marked by extraordinary scientific and industrial progress, brothers Louis Victor and Pierre-Joseph-Célestin Baume founded the house of the same name and registered it as an agency in the Les Bois village, in the Swiss Jura Mountains. There was only one slogan: "Accept only perfection, only manufacture watches of the highest quality" Until 1840 the house manufactured watches with escapement wheels then introduced the cylinder escapment Lépine calibre to the Jura Mountains. In 1847 Possessing a keen business sense, the Baume brothers looked to set up in a major European capital city. They chose London. Pierre-Joseph-Célestin Baume went to set up there in 1847 and founded "Baume Brothers" in 1851. In 1880 The second generation took over. Alcide Eugène son of Louis Victor, managed the Swiss entity and Arthur Joseph that of London. In 1885 In London, Baume & Co triumphed at the Kew observatory chronometry competition scoring an exceptional 91.9 out of 100 for a "keyless chronometer watch, tourbillon movement." Note the record was only beaten 10 years later. In 1912 Paul Tchereditchenko who became a Swiss national and adopted the name Mercier. The Haas watchmakers hired him thanks to his business skill. He quickly became business manager. On the 27 August 1920: Baume & Mercier Geneva was born from the alliance of two men, William Baume, talented watchmaker, grandson of the founder and Paul Mercier.

So the Baume is the same family as Baume et Mercier except that in 1920 it seems as if the two brothers went there separate ways.

Thread Information