Can you help me with this watch? Any info will help.

Thread: Can you help me with this watch? Any info will help.

Can you help me with this watch? Any info will help.

It is an Elgin watch. By the Serial it was made in 1895. Apart from that, I do not know much else.
    Please let me know as much as you can. Is it a high quality watch?
    Best way to wind it, and anything you can think of.
    Pictures.
    Name:  Elgin 1.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  130.1 KBName:  Elgin 2.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  126.3 KBName:  Elgin 3.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  145.0 KBName:  Elgin 4.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  133.2 KBName:  Elgin 5.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  85.7 KB

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Vsanzbajo; December 13th, 2011 at 20:26.

Re: Can you help me with this watch? Any info will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Vsanzbajo View Post
    It is an Elgin watch. By the Serial it was made in 1895. Apart from that, I do not know much else.
    Please let me know as much as you can. Is it a high quality watch?
    Best way to wind it, and anything you can think of.
    Pictures.

Thanks in advance.
    In answer to your questions...

"is this a high quality watch?"......
    No, I'm afraid not, more low than middling I'd say.

"Best way to wind it".....
    Hold the watch in your left hand and turn the crown clockwise between finger and thumb.

"and anything you can think of"
    The watch looks to be re-cased and has a very ill fitting plastic crystal.

Sorry if this all seems negative but you should realise that I look at a watch with a critical
    eye as a collector. If this watch is an heirloom then it's all part of the watches history
    of honest use through several generations.

The good points are that the dial and hands seem to be original and the movement looks
    to be in very nice unmolested condition.
    Last edited by radger; December 13th, 2011 at 20:56.

What do you mean by re-case. Yo do not think it is original? Is it a railroad watch?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes, I don't think it's in its original case.
    If you look at the rim of the case around the movement there seems to be marks from screws
    which would indicate that the case held a previous movement of a different type. A U.S watch expert
    will tell you more and there are a few in this forum who'll either confirm or refute that the case is original
    to this watch.

No, it is not a railroad watch.

I paid $100 for it. I really liked it. I love the dial. Did I overpay? It works great, and very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Vsanzbajo View Post
    I paid $100 for it. I really liked it. I love the dial. Did I overpay? It works great, and very accurate.
    Well, we can't really discuss value, and if you like it, then you got your moneys worth. The orientation of the watch (with the crown at 3:00 and no front cover) is what's commonly referred to as a "sidewinder". Typically, watches with no front cover are considered "Open Face", and will have the crown at 12:00 on the dial. Watches with a front cover are called "Hunter Case" watches, and have the crown at 3:00. "Sidewinder" watches are usually a result of someone taking a watch movement out of a Hunter Case watch and putting it in an Open Face case. The most common reason for that would be because the original Hunter Case was probably solid gold, and at some point its owner decided that they needed the money more then the watch.

The watch movement (the actual mechanical part) looks to be a basic 7 jewel movement. You see all those holes in the movement where the axels of the gear sit? On a higher grade watch, those would all have little red donuts made out of synthetic ruby. Ruby is a lot harder then brass, so it lasts longer without wearing out. Yours still has some jewels, but only on the parts that need it the most; the balance wheel (the big thing that swings back and forth) and a couple of bits inside the watch that you can't see.

Properly maintained (i.e., have it cleaned and serviced every 3-5 years by a competent watchmaker) this watch will probably last another hundred years easily.

Its odd to see a 7j watch recased like this, to be honest. There are a lot of much higher quality movements available that could be swapped into the case for next to nothing (you can buy batches of 15 or 17j watch movements for as little as $5 a movement if you're lucky). If you want to be romantic, you could imagine that the original owner sold the watch case during a spell of financial hardship, but wanted to hang onto the movement for sentimental reasons, and picked up the cheapest used case he could find to preserve it.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thread Information