Can you recognize the caliber of this Empire chronograph wristwatch?

Thread: Can you recognize the caliber of this Empire chronograph wristwatch?

Can you recognize the caliber of this Empire chronograph wristwatch?

Hey - I was wondering if anyone could identify the caliber of this chronograph, which I have just come into possession of. It's a real beauty and was just serviced. Runs great!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Can you recognize the caliber of this Empire chronograph wristwatch?

Well its a Venus - but the picture's too big for me to see the whole thing at once to compare in the pink pages.

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Its a Venus 170, aka up & down chronograph :bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Venus 170

My possession started also with one of these. You hear it ticking like a watch. That makes is sweet.Venus 170 movement was used in many watches in that era, a popular and reliable caliber for that age. If you have it cleaned you might have it run with like 2 min deviation per day which is fine for a 70 year old movement. Your watches dial is re-made, meaning re-painted. Not having the 3 min indicators at the 30 min subdial can indicate that it was produced in early 40's. 3 ,6.9 min indicators were added to these subdials in mid 40's to be aware of international call charges made form post offices hence they were being charged for every 3 minutes, like you speak 3 min and 1 second you are charged for 6 minutes, example photo - also a re-dial, look at the upper subdial before 15 min for the 3 min indicators:
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sorry for the larger than life pictures. Didn't know how to shrink them.

Thank you for the helpful information!

Incredibly, were were spot on about the accuracy. It gained about a minute over a period of 12 hours. Are you saying that the accuracy of this old movement can not be calibrated to much better? Should I spend the money to get it recalibrated?

(It was just fully serviced and shipped out to me, so maybe the calibration was effected?)

Your choice about having it serviced again, but dont expect accuracy where even her modern cousins have deviations. The movement has 40 hour power reserve if you dont use the chrono functions - that would decrease the reserve - after much debate this fact came out here in this forum even tough it was for an automatic, I guess its the same for a hand wound movement.2 min is really good for its age, you just set the time every day or second day, anyway you will have to wound it daily-which is the beauty to remind you have a watch to take care of.Also the US import code you see EXO - Empire Watch Co. is correctly stated on the movement which looks clean. Ranfft Watches, US Import Codes

Thank you for the very interesting information! You guys are always very helpful.

,David

Thread Information