car-boot nirvana - Page 3
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: car-boot nirvana

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: car-boot nirvana

Quote Originally Posted by ConElPueblo View Post
    If Polywatch really melted the plastic, the heat would ignite the pad before that. Or, at the very least, burn your fingers. I looked at the Polywatch website and I see that the "melting plastic" is a part of the official sales pitch, but I do not buy that for a second.

Good to hear that it works, though. I have recently purchased my first watch with a plastic crystal, and I look forward to giving it a go :)
    It only melts the surface and this can be done with both chemicals and heat or a combination of both. I can of course not be sure but it works and that's what's important. Dirt can get trapped inside the crystal so something is covering it and scratches disappear.

You can fuse plastic bags together using an Iron in between two pieces of paper so it can't get that hot. I have also seen on telly how they put a piece of plastic sheet in an oven then by hand they shaped the sheet on a mold and you might be able to fuse plastic at this lower temperature as well with friction heat?
    Last edited by Shum; August 6th, 2014 at 22:53.
    bobbee and The Guvnah like this.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    It could be a case of fusing rather then melting as this only melts the surface and this can be done with both chemicals and heat.
    Abrasives always generate heat as they are used. I see nothing special about polywatch in this context. Brasso and similar abrasives work in exactly the same way - the only differences are in the initial grade of abrasive and how it breaks down in use.
    bobbee, Wibbs and radger like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    Abrasives always generate heat as they are used. I see nothing special about polywatch in this context. Brasso and similar abrasives work in exactly the same way - the only differences are in the initial grade of abrasive and how it breaks down in use.
    Now that I have thought about it now remember how Polywatch really hurts earlier types of plastic used in watch crystal and makes them gray and sticky so I think it could be a chemical solvent of some kind used.
    Last edited by Shum; August 6th, 2014 at 23:05.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

I used to have motorbikes in the 1970's/80's, and at that time the visors on helmets were of a softer plastic. I was told by other bikers that you could remove very fine scratches by holding the visor in front of a fire. Maybe heat works on crystals in this way, let's not start burning our watches though people!
    I have for several years now used 1200-1500 grit wet&dry paper and Brasso. By removing the crystal and using a little water, I can remove even quite deep scratches in plastic and hesalite crystals. Brasso then clears the foggy crystal, leaving it looking like new, for half the price of polywatch. And it lasts many times longer.
    Thanks for all the interestingstuffguys, and I'm now off to another boot fair!

Thanks for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    For me a tube will easily remove scratches from up to 10 watches or more. You first must clean the crystal to get rid of any big dirt particles so they don't get trapped in the plastic then put a tiny amount of Polywatch on a fabric wipe like Pec pad, place the pad on a flat surface then rub the crystal against it so heat builds up and this will melt the surface of the plastic so it will fill up the scratches. Some plastics are harder then others so one must apply more pressure to build up more heat.

Don't rub a cloth on the crystal with you fingers as you won't get the same even presure and it will take longer and it's harder to get out the bigger scratches doing so. And only use a tiny amount for you need the friction and more will only slide the crystal round the surface doing little.

Good question. I was thinking it sounded like stealing stuff out of the trunk of someone's car.
    Quote Originally Posted by howards4th View Post
    I must ask, what is "car-booting" ?
    howards4th likes this.

Since I now know what it means, I have to say, that is a very nice "car-booting" find.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    For a few days, I will be in car-booting heaven, Skegness in Lincolnshire UK.
    There are at least one every day within a 10 mile radius, and are all massive!
    In the past, I have hade several good if not amazing finds, including a Record www in good condition for £12.
    Yesterday came up trumps within a minute of arrival with this £2.50 find:

Attachment 1587564

Communist-era Sekonda with a dove grey dial in almost perfect condition. Date at six is a favourite style of mine, and the only minus is the scratched crystal, which will be put right with 1500-grit wet&dry paper and Brasso.
    The M2 stamped 21 jewel 2414 movement is shiny and free of dirt/rust. M2 I believe signifies Mowcow Factory number two.
    Forgot to take pic of movement, never mind.
    bobbee likes this.

Just to illustrate the British cultural phenomenon of car boot sales:

Name:  car-boot-sale.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  64.6 KB

Name:  car_boot_sale2.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  45.9 KB

Reminds me 90s in Lithuania, the main market "Gariunai" :D
    Chaos is my focus

Looking at the pictures Marrick sent, looks to me what we would call a "Swap-meet"
    Very Cool! Thanks Marrick for the pics!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information