car-boot nirvana
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: car-boot nirvana

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

car-boot nirvana

For a few days, I will be in car-booting heaven, Skegness in Lincolnshire UK.
    There are at least one every day within a 10 mile radius, and are all massive!
    In the past, I have hade several good if not amazing finds, including a Record www in good condition for £12.
    Yesterday came up trumps within a minute of arrival with this £2.50 find:

Name:  IMG1035-1.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  72.6 KB

Communist-era Sekonda with a dove grey dial in almost perfect condition. Date at six is a favourite style of mine, and the only minus is the scratched crystal, which will be put right with 1500-grit wet&dry paper and Brasso.
    The M2 stamped 21 jewel 2414 movement is shiny and free of dirt/rust. M2 I believe signifies Mowcow Factory number two.
    Forgot to take pic of movement, never mind.

Re: car-boot nirvana

Nicey! Skeggy eh? Bit far for me from the Midlands but you've jogged my mind on things to do with the two lads on school holidays. Several birds killed with one stone there I think, On the watch front there's got to be a few sleepers to be found lurking in an old 60's buscuit tin full of buttons and being in Coventry ( an engineering hub) there must be at least one mint condition vertical milling slide and rotary indexing table under somebody's pasting table.

" ooh 'ang on a minute... I fink I've got the original box for the watch somewhere... Aha, there you go...I.W.C.?? naah never 'eard of 'em either, call it a fiver fer the lot mate.

And then we woke up....
    aditya, bobbee and derids like this.

Nice find, particularly at that price!

Kind regards

Aditya

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Movement. Sorry about the shaky pics, San Miguel tremors.

Name:  IMG1039-1.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  24.5 KB
    Last edited by bobbee; August 6th, 2014 at 16:56.
    busmatt and derids like this.

What a piece of communistic junk you got there.

I generally don't go for USSR watches but this one was rather nice. But then it was made for the export market so they went with the Swiss style and two barrels to boot at that!

Try using only polywatch as you don't remove any plastic with it.
    Last edited by Shum; August 6th, 2014 at 17:47.
    bobbee likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    What a piece of communistic junk you got there.

I generally don't go for USSR watches but this one was rather nice. But then it was made for the export market so they went with the Swiss style and two barrels to boot at that!

Try using only polywatch as you don't remove any plastic with it.
    How does the Polywatch work without removing any crystal material? I've used it before on a Seiko and had to use nearly a whole tube of it, andthought it removed some crystal plastic to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    How does the Polywatch work without removing any crystal material? I've used it before on a Seiko and had to use nearly a whole tube of it, andthought it removed some crystal plastic to do so.
    For me a tube will easily remove scratches from up to 10 watches or more. You first must clean the crystal to get rid of any big dirt particles so they don't get trapped in the plastic then put a tiny amount of Polywatch on a fabric wipe like Pec pad, place the pad on a flat surface then rub the crystal against it so heat builds up and this will melt the surface of the plastic so it will fill up the scratches. Some plastics are harder then others so one must apply more pressure to build up more heat.

Don't rub a cloth on the crystal with you fingers as you won't get the same even presure and it will take longer and it's harder to get out the bigger scratches doing so. And only use a tiny amount for you need the friction and more will only slide the crystal round the surface doing little.
    Last edited by Shum; August 6th, 2014 at 18:41.

I must ask, what is "car-booting" ?
    cabfrank likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by howards4th View Post
    I must ask, what is "car-booting" ?
    A garage sale to you

Quote Originally Posted by aditya View Post
    A garage sale to you
    Or getting hit in the rear by a car...
    howards4th, busmatt and aditya like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information