case with break or cut?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fantasyvoyager
  • 1 Post By radger

Thread: case with break or cut?

case with break or cut?

I found a 1967 Bulova I'd like to buy, but it looks like the case has a cut or a break in it, pictured below. Is that really what I'm seeing? Is there any way this is normal?

Name:  bullova-hole.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  99.6 KB

Re: case with break or cut?

Hi, the gap is for case back lip. Looks to be 2 piece case back, lid and screw ring.
    Last edited by Fantasyvoyager; December 7th, 2011 at 01:47.
    neurogenesis likes this.

Thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes this is normal for nearly all bulova with a 2 part screw down case
    Bond ... James Bond

What isn't normal is that the wheel which drives the center secs pinion is engaging zilch...
    there appears to be no secs pinion and the tension spring is underneath the drive wheel
    wheras it should be above, ...probably turned upside down to retain for when a center secs
    arbor and pinion was obtained, if not then it will be 'dragging' the wheel.

Thinking out loud: when did Bulova start using the two-piece caseback?

The earliest one that I have of this case back style is from 1955 and houses a 10CSC auto
    My new sig -----

Over the years I've collected all sorts of movements and "project" watches ... mainly inexpensive vintage pieces.

These days I've widened my gaze to include modern pieces (including quartz with analog or analog + digital displays) but with those I'm generally looking for models in solid steel cases.

Quote Originally Posted by radger View Post
    What isn't normal is that the wheel which drives the center secs pinion is engaging zilch...
    there appears to be no secs pinion and the tension spring is underneath the drive wheel
    wheras it should be above, ...probably turned upside down to retain for when a center secs
    arbor and pinion was obtained, if not then it will be 'dragging' the wheel.
    I see the gear that doesn't seem to be driving anything, but other than that I don't understand what you wrote. I have the watch now and it seems to be keeping time, and the seconds hand works. I think it's running a couple seconds per hour fast. If it runs okay overnight, I'll have it serviced in January. If it doesn't run well It'll have to wait a while for repair, if it's worthwhile. I haven't opened it.

ETA: I did notice that when I was setting the date, 10-1-10-1-10,etc, the seconds hand moved backwards about five seconds when I wound the minutes hand backward, and then forward the same five seconds when I wound the minutes hand forward again. Does that indicate a problem?
    Last edited by neurogenesis; December 13th, 2011 at 03:55.

It's been running 15 hours now and has picked up about 40 seconds. This is acceptable performance for a daytime watch for me, so it's a keeper, and can probably be regulated with servicing.

Quote Originally Posted by neurogenesis View Post
    I see the gear that doesn't seem to be driving anything, but other than that I don't understand what you wrote. I have the watch now and it seems to be keeping time, and the seconds hand works. I think it's running a couple seconds per hour fast. If it runs okay overnight, I'll have it serviced in January. If it doesn't run well It'll have to wait a while for repair, if it's worthwhile. I haven't opened it.

ETA: I did notice that when I was setting the date, 10-1-10-1-10,etc, the seconds hand moved backwards about five seconds when I wound the minutes hand backward, and then forward the same five seconds when I wound the minutes hand forward again. Does that indicate a problem?
    That's good news that the secs pinion is present and working OK, it isn't installed in the pic sa'll.
    It's quite usual that the secs hand will run erratically whilst reversing and forwarding the motion work.
    The movement looks clean and with a service and regulation will be a good timekeeper no doubt...nice one.
    Last edited by radger; December 13th, 2011 at 18:14.
    neurogenesis likes this.

Thread Information