Case scratches on my Wittnauer 4000
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Case scratches on my Wittnauer 4000

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Case scratches on my Wittnauer 4000

Howdy,

Let me start off by saying I’m new to watch collecting and more importantly new around here. So if I have started this thread in the wrong place or should have posted this elsewhere please forgive or redirect me.

i recently purchased a vtg Wittnauer 4000 diver that seems in relatively tip top shape lest some rather nasty scratches on one of the lugs presumably from bad watch band swapping.

The lugs are brushes finish as is the rest of the top of the case (minus the polished bezel).

is it worth my while (and money) to try to get it fixed?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Slimetime; March 21st, 2018 at 05:01.
    busmatt and priamo like this.

Re: Case scratches

Most vintage collectors expect things like that and the case being original with sharp clean edges is more important.

The hand lume is more a concern....

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
    Slimetime likes this.
    https://www.ThePassthrough.com

That's a nice watch and the edges of the lugs are still extremely sharp which means that the case is unpolished, which is very desirable and uncommon. My advice would be to live with it for some time and see if it still bothers you. Often I am initially bothered by imperfections, but after a few weeks they no longer bother me.

If you polish the case to remove those scratches and in the process the sharp edge of the lug becomes rounded, you will have lost one of the features that makes your watch particularly good. Removing the scratches in a way that preserves the sharpness of the edge is not trivial, and requires special skills. Most jewelers or watchmakers you ask to remove the scratches will just polish it using a buffing wheel, which would be disastrous from the perspective of collectibility.
    Slimetime and busmatt like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

@thoth yeah the handset definitely has a darker patina than the dial, but best I can tell from my very modest research, the hands are at least oringinal to the refrerence
    Attached Images Attached Images

busmatt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    That's a nice watch and the edges of the lugs are still extremely sharp which means that the case is unpolished, which is very desirable and uncommon. My advice would be to live with it for some time and see if it still bothers you. Often I am initially bothered by imperfections, but after a few weeks they no longer bother me.

If you polish the case to remove those scratches and in the process the sharp edge of the lug becomes rounded, you will have lost one of the features that makes your watch particularly good. Removing the scratches in a way that preserves the sharpness of the edge is not trivial, and requires special skills. Most jewelers or watchmakers you ask to remove the scratches will just polish it using a buffing wheel, which would be disastrous from the perspective of collectibility.
    good points! I live in Seattle area and was thinking of stopping by Nesbit’s for a quote. But I’m not sure I want to throw too much at this thing... it’s a fun wearing watch tho :) makes me hungry for more haha
    busmatt likes this.

Re: Case scratches on my Wittnauer 4000

It is a nice watch....I would not be concerned with the scratches. If someone wants a NOS vintage watch only and does not like vintage with character....they may as well buy a modern new watch.

Buying a NOS vintage watch is good and all when you find one you like. But avoiding a nice vintage watch because of some scratches on the lugs....that is not someone who loves collecting vintage. That is someone who buys vintage just for looks.

I am not directing that at you. I am just pointing out that many here would not care about scratches like that on a vintage watch. I did not avoid this one because of the case back....

busmatt likes this.

Something has been re-lumed, most likely the dial in my opinion (based on the more typical yellowed tritium lume plots generally seen on this model). It's unfortunate that whoever did the job didn't make more of an effort to match the colors.

It's still a nice watch and the case is spectacular - original finish, unpolished. The bezel is great also.
    thoth likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    Something has been re-lumed, most likely the dial in my opinion (based on the more typical yellowed tritium lume plots generally seen on this model). It's unfortunate that whoever did the job didn't make more of an effort to match the colors.

It's still a nice watch and the case is spectacular - original finish, unpolished. The bezel is great also.
    Agreed on the lume being off on the dial. I looked at other pictures of the same model. Yellow is the norm and green is not.

Name:  30DF3628-C220-4203-A324-72FE8D678D18.jpeg
Views: 78
Size:  2.01 MB
    busmatt likes this.

I’ll try getting a better shot of the dial. It’s more yellow than green?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information