Case Sizes Over The Ages

Thread: Case Sizes Over The Ages

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Confused Case Sizes Over The Ages

Is it me or has case sizes become larger over the years? I just received my Colgor swiss watch that I won on the Bay. Nice looking watch; 17 jewels, incabloc, antimagnetic with an unbreakable mainspring. The seller stated it was a mans watch so I was supprised when I received it that it is only 33mm including the crown. Is that normal for a 60's mans watch to be that small or would it be considered a womens at this size?

-SB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Case Sizes Over The Ages

Hi -

Completely normal. The current fetish for absurdly oversized watches is a fashion thing. Many encase a lot of air.

It does make it hard to wear them today. I get asked why I'm wearing my wife's watch. Go figure.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Thanks John, that was what I was wondering. Compared to the watch I had on this one looks like a ladies watch you would buy today.

-SB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's really ironic actually. In 1900 the fashion trend was to get away from the big 18S pocket watches and make things thinner and smaller. This trend persisted for 50 years or more - well into the wristwatch era.
    Certainly the smaller thinner wrist watch made a lot of sense when folks were wearing long sleeve shirts and suit jackets. I certainly prefer one of these minimalist models during the winter months in Canada.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Southampton UK as prisoner of work but home is a village in La Mayenne.

It has never been an embarassment to me to explain that fifty/ sixty/ seventy years ago, when this watch was made, men's watches were a lot more compact and the fact that it still keeps good time is not just testimony to my skills at servicing it. (That shuts those wits up who take the PXXX because you are beyond the limits of their imaginations.)

Banned

I imagine watchmakers are happy about today's fetich (excellent expression, John!)with a sewerlid on the wrist. Less pressure to make a dial that is easy to read in all conditions, easy to "overload" with bits of rubber, different surface treatment, metals etc.
    In the "good old" days, to make a thin, slim, small but accurate watch showed off the skills they had.

johndozier

Large cases are like big guns and fast cars, they are compensation for some inadequacy in the invidual owning them. I will not get into what is lacking in these individuals, that is for people such as Freud to talk about. How many folks with a dive watch or chronograph, actually dive or time events? I would bet close to zero. Its is a wannabe world.

Bought this one new. At 35.5mm, it was a large watch in the 60's.
    I still use it today to time burgers on the bbq.

-Dave

None of you have guessed.
    The truth is that, 80 years ago, men were 80% lower than today, and watches had to follow their proportions.

While women are, today, lucky to find old man watches, and new women watches, that fit just on their wrists!

Look what can be done by good food and vitamins!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaurien View Post
    None of you have guessed.
    The truth is that, 80 years ago, men were 80% lower than today, and watches had to follow their proportions.

While women are, today, lucky to find old man watches, and new women watches, that fit just on their wrists!

Look what can be done by good food and vitamins!
    While average weight is higher than it was 50 years ago (perhaps by 20%) this has nothing to do with the size of watches. The current big watch craze is purely a matter of fashion.

The higher average weight of today has little to do with "good food and vitamins" but, rather, much more to do with high calorie food and lack of exercise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information