Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By QuartzCrisis
  • 1 Post By QuartzCrisis
  • 2 Post By QuartzCrisis
  • 2 Post By kostependrhs
  • 1 Post By QuartzCrisis
  • 1 Post By QuartzCrisis
  • 2 Post By journeyforce

Thread: Casio Calculator CA-53W: iconic vintage watch that you can still buy new

Picture Casio Calculator CA-53W: iconic vintage watch that you can still buy new

Yesterday I went to the Museum of Modern Art in NYC and got myself a new iconic watch Casio Calculator CA-53W from the museum’s shop. The weird thing is that Casio is still making this exact model since 1984. So this model is a legit vintage watch and also one of the most iconic watches ever made.

pic from MoMa:
    Name:  CA53w.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  46.4 KB

But instead of sharing more pictures of my watch, I’ll share pictures of why this watch is such an icon.

Back To The Future:
    Name:  BackToTheFuture1.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  102.3 KB

You might argue that this is not CA-53W, it's CA-50 and you will be right. But here is proof that in BTTF2 and BTTF3 they switched to CA-53W (credits to Casio CA-53W Facebook group):
    Name:  BackToTheFuture2n3.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  54.3 KB
    busmatt and Shum like this.

Re: Casio Calculator CA-53W: iconic vintage watch that you can still buy new

Breaking Bad:

Name:  BreakingBad.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  34.8 KB
    Shum likes this.

Serena Williams (compare to Roger Feder who HAS to wear this lame Rolex because of his contract)

Name:  SerenaWilliams.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  122.1 KB
    busmatt and Shum like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The true iconic calculator watch was the C80.
    The ca53 is a striped down C80. A much cheaper version of low quality. The ca53 is a shame for casio. The only digital watch without a backlight!
    Better do not buy that garbage product.
    Last edited by kostependrhs; February 17th, 2017 at 21:01.
    QuartzCrisis and laikrodukas like this.
    "Get a Seiko 5" is the answer to most of watch-related questions.

I would call that a 'timepiece'.

Quote Originally Posted by kostependrhs View Post
    The true iconic calculator watch was the C80.
    The ca53 is a striped down C80. A much cheaper version of low quality. The ca53 is a shame for casio. The only digital watch without a backlight!
    Better do not buy that garbage product.
    Thank you for sharing about C80! Very cool watch. Especially the one with metal face buttons, wow! True innovation. But I see why Casio didn't produce it for long. Those side buttons for some math operations ( -, x and %) are odd and inconvenient to use. The main feature of this watch is calculator, so I see why they decided to move to improved design.

I had 1990s Calculator Databank watch with a blue backlight for 10 years. While in theory this feature sounds very cool, I used it a lot and I have to say it's just ok. It's borderline disappointment. Maybe in 2000s Casio figured out how to do it right, but I do not miss this feature in my 1980s design watch. Its better to have only features you can do very well and drop features that are just ok. And no backlight = impressive 5 years battery life.
    Shum likes this.

C80 is the very first Calculator watch from Casio and I agree that it's more collectible and it will always have a special place as watch #1. But because it was produced for so little time, it's not as iconic as CA-53W. Casio produced so many CA-53Ws that people immediately recognize it on a street as a watch they had. There are so many movies with CA-53W, so many celebrities wearing CA-53W! CA-53W is a big part of a pop culture, this you can't say about CA80.
    Shum likes this.

I like the CA-53W. It is an iconic watch. A vary classic style of watch that is very familiar and nostalgic for folks that lived through the 1980's (such as myself). I bought a new CA-53W from Target in December 2016 for the retro coolness.

As for the C80, yes it is iconic also but I will be honest with you. It is a pretty flimsy watch. I have 3 of them(including a NOS one) and all of them feel cheap and flimsy and while having a calculator watch with buttons on the for add, subtract, multiply and divide were cool and cutting edge in 1976, by 1980 it was backwards. Seiko by contrast offered a calculator watch with all those functions on the keypad. So every time I look at one of my 1980's C-80 watches I think "Holy Heck Batman, its 1976!!"

The CA-53W is much more solid feeling on the wrist and using it.

Enjoy your watch
    QuartzCrisis and Shum like this.

Thread Information