Catorex pocket watch

Thread: Catorex pocket watch

Catorex pocket watch

i came across this pocket watch that belonged to my grandfather but have not been able to find the original packaging or info sheet.
    if anyone can identify this model and how much it could be worth i would appreciate it, thanks

Name:  IMG_20130624_125522.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  908.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20130624_125541.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  810.8 KB

Re: Catorex pocket watch

Site rules: no valuations. there is a sticky on this.

I don't recognize the brand, but the movement appears to be a skeletonized version of the Swiss Unitas 6497 pocket watch movement that originated in the 1950s and is now manufactured by the Swatch Group's ETA division.

There is one other possibility and that is the watch is not Swiss, but is in fact of Chinese manufacture using a Chinese copy of the 6497. I mention this because I could not see "Swiss" anywhere.

MONTRES CATOREX :: Accueil

this is the brand, but this model is older than those shown on the site.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

From the looks of it this model seems to belong to the "Les Breuleux" family. It shows a lot of similarities to those models..

As for what Ron in PA said:

Quote Originally Posted by RON in PA View Post
    There is one other possibility and that is the watch is not Swiss, but is in fact of Chinese manufacture using a Chinese copy of the 6497. I mention this because I could not see "Swiss" anywhere.
    I could agree with that... how ever I couldn't find this model on the Chinese "replica" market yet so chances that it is Chinese might be slim.
    Last edited by McCloudy; June 24th, 2013 at 12:36.

It's pushing the lower end of the spectrum quality wise; the bridges have a simple brushed finish, it has a flat hairspring and basic hairpsring stud carrier. I can just barely see something stamped on the barrel bridge to the left of the click that might be a "swiss made". I kinda doubt it'd have an incabloc if it was a Chinese movement though; they clearly devoted most of their movement budget to paying the guy with the sharpie that decorated it. The stud carrier matches the older Unitas design: bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Unitas 6497

It's probably a good enough watch for what it was, and since larger skeleton watches are somewhat in vogue for wristwatches right now, it's probably worth more then the same movement in a more traditional layout.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thread Information