Caught another very nice Cortebert, and a Cyma

Thread: Caught another very nice Cortebert, and a Cyma

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Caught another very nice Cortebert, and a Cyma

Hi,

I always catch watches on thursdays as there is a big flea market gathering in Baoguosi( an anciet temple) in Beijing.

These are what I caught today. A vintage Cortebert with a nice black dial with 12,3,6,and 9 Arabic hour numbers. a classic design of 1950's. Another one is a vintage Cyma also with a black dial that I think was made in 1960's with a big and nice movement. The Cyma cost a little more as it was a 1st category 3 class watch that was only 1 grade lower than Omega, and a grade higher than Marvin, Mido,and Hamilton on my list of imported watches.
    The Cortebert was listed as a 2nd category, 2nd class watch. But I like its dial better than that of the Cyma. Like black dial Shanghai A581s, these black dial vintage Swiss watches looks very cool. I saw many nice examples of vintage Swiss watches today, such as Omega, Marvin, Roamer, etc, but My pocket was empty. I am impressed of the time keeping of my last vintage Cortebert, so I think this one could also be a reliable watch. The Cyma movement with that big balance could be even better. What do you think?

Cheers,

Zhang
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by soviet; October 18th, 2007 at 07:08.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: Caught another very nice Cortebert, and a Cyma

That's a very large and impressive movement in the Cyma, but I think it needs a service. The regulator is all the way to the 'slow' end, indicating that the balance is not swinging strongly enough.

stuffler,mike

Nice catch, like em both.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Excellent! Nice shopping.

Hi -

Not only that, but what's up with the center jewel and that light spot off center?

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Hi -

Not only that, but what's up with the center jewel and that light spot off center?

JohnF
    Hi,

I am nervous now. Is there something wrong with the Cyma movement? The Cortebert has stopped once, but the Cyma has been accurate so far. I will check my other Cyma that has a similar movement.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

If it is working, there is very likely nothing wrong (at least not terminally) but then it might just be in need of a good service. I wouldn't worry much about the centre jewel, that may well just be a light effect. As for the regulation, a good watchmaker with an electronic timing machine could see within seconds what the amplitude of the balance is. If the arc of swing is distinctly below 250°, you should get it serviced, even if it apparently keeps good time.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    If it is working, there is very likely nothing wrong (at least not terminally) but then it might just be in need of a good service. I wouldn't worry much about the centre jewel, that may well just be a light effect. As for the regulation, a good watchmaker with an electronic timing machine could see within seconds what the amplitude of the balance is. If the arc of swing is distinctly below 250°, you should get it serviced, even if it apparently keeps good time.

Hartmut Richter

Hi,

Thanks! I usually service simple watches myself, but this one looks rare and valuable, so I will not disassemble it. The problem is that a professional repairman still charges according to the old list so that a 1st category Swiss watch may cost many times of what I paid for the watch. A Rolex may cost a few hundred US dollars for a regular service.

Cheers,

Zhang

Don't panic about the regulator ...

It is not "all the way to the 'slow' end". What "Chascomm" is seeing is not the regulator adjustment arm (it doesn't have one) but rather a shock protection arm which is fixed in that position. These two parts are marked in the edited version of your picture below.

While the regulator is toward the slow side it is not at the extremity. That is not to say that this watch does not need a service; it probably does since it may not have been service for many years (this watch probably dates to around 1960 or so).

This is an interesting movement: it has indirectly driven minutes, the unusual shock protection and eccentric screw regulation of the stud carrier. For more information see the description of the movement on Dr. Ranfft's site:

Cyma 486.2

Re: Don't panic about the regulator ...

Thanks for the link and input. I noted that this is a modefied version with an additional jewel. While the dial still says 17 jewels. I assume it is original. It also has that unique second hand without a tail as my other Cyma with a 486 movement. The 486 movement has a different regulator, and it is also a 18 jewels version.

This movement with a large balance enjoys a good reputation than other Cyma movements of smaller diameter.

Regards,

Zhang

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    It is not "all the way to the 'slow' end". What "Chascomm" is seeing is not the regulator adjustment arm (it doesn't have one) but rather a shock protection arm which is fixed in that position. These two parts are marked in the edited version of your picture below.

While the regulator is toward the slow side it is not at the extremity. That is not to say that this watch does not need a service; it probably does since it may not have been service for many years (this watch probably dates to around 1960 or so).

This is an interesting movement: it has indirectly driven minutes, the unusual shock protection and eccentric screw regulation of the stud carrier. For more information see the description of the movement on Dr. Ranfft's site:

Cyma 486.2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information