Caught a nice Favre-Leuba

Thread: Caught a nice Favre-Leuba

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Moderator soviet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,953

    Caught a nice Favre-Leuba

    Hi all,

    I heard that Favre-Leuba is one of the earliest Swiss watch makers. It is much earlier than some of the current big brands, so a watch made by this company with a nice S/S case and an in-house dual spring movement should not be passed if the price is right. Even those 1940-50's Breitling with a worn case and a genetic movement could cost much more.

    Here it is. The case and dial style is uncommon from those I have seen so far. IMHO, this 1970's Favre-Leuba is more collectable than the two old Breitlings. What do you think?

    Cheers,

    Zhang
    Attached Images Attached Images




  2. #2
    stuffler,mike
    Guest

    Re: Caught a nice Favre-Leuba

    Hi Zhang,

    Nice Favre-Leuba. I heard that the Sea Chief was equipped with the FL 253 movement, a movement with two barrels (resp. two springs).

  3. #3
    Moderator soviet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,953

    Re: Caught a nice Favre-Leuba

    Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Hi Zhang,

    Nice Favre-Leuba. I heard that the Sea Chief was equipped with the FL 253 movement, a movement with two barrels (resp. two springs).
    Hi Mike,

    Yes. It has a gold tone dual barrels movement. I heard that it is a good movement. Was Favre-Leub the earliest Swiss watch maker? I could not find a swiss company with a history longer than its.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    stuffler,mike
    Guest

    Re: Caught a nice Favre-Leuba

    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    Hi Mike,

    Yes. It has a gold tone dual barrels movement. I heard that it is a good movement. Was Favre-Leub the earliest Swiss watch maker? I could not find a swiss company with a history longer than its.
    Well, according to what I´ve found I´d say Favre-Leuba bears one of the oldest names in Swiss watch-making history. Blancpain was founded 2 years earlier in 1735 (F-L in 1737), Breguet came much later in 1775.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,129

    Re: Caught a nice Favre-Leuba

    Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Well, according to what I´ve found I´d say Favre-Leuba bears one of the oldest names in Swiss watch-making history. Blancpain was founded 2 years earlier in 1735 (F-L in 1737), Breguet came much later in 1775.
    Hello Mike,

    do you know, if they've always been Favre-Leuba, or if they have also marketed some watches just as Leuba (similar to JLC)?
    I ask because I own this cheap Leuba-Chrono with a Venus188 inside:


    Or is it total different brand?

    Thanks,

    Axel

  7. #6
    stuffler,mike
    Guest

    Re: Caught a nice Favre-Leuba

    Quote Originally Posted by Axel66 View Post
    Hello Mike,

    do you know, if they've always been Favre-Leuba, or if they have also marketed some watches just as Leuba (similar to JLC)?
    I ask because I own this cheap Leuba-Chrono with a Venus188 inside:
    Or is it total different brand?
    Thanks,
    Axel
    Hi Axel,
    Could have been possible but:
    Legal records are witnessing that Abraham Favre opened a small watchmaker´s atelier in Le Locle in 1737. Alread his son, Henry-Auguste, merged with a watch dealer named A. Leuba. Since they merged in 1834 they have been Favre-Leuba.


    They are different brands though:

    L.A. Leuba = Louis A.Leuba S.A. (closed down on 24 janvier 1996)
    Favre-Leuba = Compagnie des montres FAVRE-LEUBA S.A. (still alive)

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,129

    Re: Caught a nice Favre-Leuba

    Thanks a lot Mike!

    However here're my two "true" Favre Leubas:
    a Sea Chief, but with the one barrel AS 2061



    and a twin barrel FL251 in that one



    Cheers,

    Axel

  9. #8
    stuffler,mike
    Guest

    Re: Caught a nice Favre-Leuba

    Thanks for sharing Axel !

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Does anyone have any info on my Favre Leuba
      By emmak in forum Vintage & Pocket watches
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: March 25th, 2006, 20:02
    2. Nice UK watch straps....
      By accutron in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: February 25th, 2006, 01:12
    3. Pic taking and a nice afternoon chilling out
      By Andrew Holt in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: February 19th, 2006, 22:03

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •