Certina Chronolympic C-tronic...what have I bought?
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Certina Chronolympic C-tronic...what have I bought?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Certina Chronolympic C-tronic...what have I bought?

Well, bought this one today - as evident in the rather poor picture there is some cleaning, polishing etc. to do - And i don't even know if it works, since i couldn't get my hands on a battery so that will have to wait until tuesday.

I'm not sure if i understand the movement, is it a mix of a mechanical and an electric?

Anyway I think it could look really nice when cleaned, so i do hope it works - Not getting my hopes up though, the battery i took out had "West Germany" on it I paid 100 danish wich is roughly 14 euro, so if it doesn't work the damage is limited:)

Shum, busmatt, Wibbs and 2 others like this.

Re: Certina Chronolympic C-tronic...what have I bought?

Inside you will find a very rare Certina 749 (ESA 9210) tuning fork movement. The day disk looks to be out of wack so chances are that the movement isn't in full working order and how one goes about finding part is beyond me. As it had a very old battery could be good news though as it could mean that the rest of the movement could be in good order. The sweep second is the small hand at 12 o clock so when you put a new battery inside look for movement there and tuning fork movements emit a high pitch sound when they are working.
    Last edited by Shum; June 6th, 2015 at 18:25.
    KasperDK and bobbee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    Inside you will find a very rare Certina 749 (ESA 9210) Tuning fork movement.
    That i did, and it looked absolutely wonderful - didn't get a good picture though:).
    busmatt and Shum like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

100Dkr is way to little for this watch no matter if it works or not so I'm full of envy (Swedish envy it the worst kind...) right now.
    Last edited by Shum; June 6th, 2015 at 18:30.
    busmatt, KasperDK and Wibbs like this.

100Dkr is way to little for this watch no matter if it works or not so I'm full of envy (Swedish envy it the worst kind...) right now.
    Haha, i've been to Sweden many times but i didn't realize the swedish envy was particularly bad:D - Thank you very much for your help, i'll update the thread when I find out wether it works or not.
    busmatt likes this.

The day disk looks to be out of wack so chances are that the movement isn't in full working order and how one goes about finding part is beyond me.
    I can adjust the date like on any other watch, the month indicator will move if i advance time - However it does seem to have some quirks (if you adjust the date it sometimes jumps a month back). It took 4-5 "days" to get it moving the first time though..I must admit, it's a bit like christmas to me, fingers crossed that it works:).

Edit: I suppose it's not a month indicator like i wrote since it changes every 24 hours lol, but i've never seen week days indicated by numbers before.
    Last edited by KasperDK; June 6th, 2015 at 23:43.
    busmatt likes this.

so-is this movement going to turn out to be just like the Omega movement in the Speedsonic f300hz chronograph? The Omegas are fairly hard to come by but not extremely rare but I never knew or saw another tuning fork chronograph, especially a Certina. Shum says its an esa 9210 which is not Boluva-so I am a little unclear on how its a hummer. But I have seen an early quartz Longines that used a sort-of tuning fork. I'll bet OPs Certina is a rare find. Enjoy. Love to see a movement shot.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Quote Originally Posted by DaBaeker View Post
    so-is this movement going to turn out to be just like the Omega movement in the Speedsonic f300hz chronograph? The Omegas are fairly hard to come by but not extremely rare but I never knew or saw another tuning fork chronograph, especially a Certina. Shum says its an esa 9210 which is not Boluva-so I am a little unclear on how its a hummer. But I have seen an early quartz Longines that used a sort-of tuning fork. I'll bet OPs Certina is a rare find. Enjoy. Love to see a movement shot.
    Have a look here. ..

http://members.iinet.net.au/~fotoplot/acctechesa2.htm

Cheers
    bobbee likes this.

Tony Lewis
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by anzac1957 View Post
    Oh right. Silly me. I forgot it was only licensed by bulova and made by esa. So, how many other Swiss watch companies used the. 9210? I still don't recall any except the increasingly hard to find and getting more rare and very pricey Speedsonic. I know the famed lobster is just a band option and is part of the omega's allure. but who else made tuning fork chronographs? I know Titus made a ton of 3 handed tuners. Curious.
    Last edited by DaBaeker; June 7th, 2015 at 04:53.
    busmatt and bobbee like this.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Certina (749), Omega (1255), Longines (L749.2), Baume and Mercier (BM 19210) and Derby but I know nothing about Derby.

12,000 movements went to Omega and 9,000 were split between the other 4.
    Last edited by Shum; June 7th, 2015 at 07:44.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information