Certina DiaMaster/Rado DiaStar 515
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Certina DiaMaster/Rado DiaStar 515

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Picture Certina DiaMaster/Rado DiaStar 515

Hi!

Found this extremely rare Certina DiaMaster on a Belgian auction site when I was searching for Certina DM pics in the www. I made a decent bid and the seller accepted.
    These watches were made in the 1970s, when Certina and Rado were already under one roof as part of the ASUAG/GWC. It´s nothing but a Rado DiaStar 515 with Certina branding. And a DiaStar 515 is a NCC 505 with scratchproof tungstencarbide case and sapphire crystle.

DS 515 NCC 505

Here the seller´s pics:

What about the dial? Black, grey or dark blue?
    Today it arrived:

It´s a sort of anthracite/graphite colour with a nice structure, changing it´s lightness dependent from the intensity of light and the angle of view.
    The watch is simply fantastic and in excellent condition!
    Certina-marked crown:

No marking on the back except a Rado reference number:

Inside I expect an ETA 2789, but I still haven´t opened it yet. It works fine and keeps time accurately.
    I bet this watch has never seen a Certina factory from inside and is completely made by Rado.
    It came with a very nice and massive German ROWI bracelet, unfortunately much too short:

I found a Rado bracelet for 20 mm lugs - very nice but incredible dirty and scratched. After 20 min in my new US-cleaner and 60 min removing scratches and restoring the brushing with sandpaper(600 grain), I could mount it:

I´m very happy with my "new" rare Certina DM/Rado DS515, never seen another one before.

Last edited by mike184; May 5th, 2012 at 22:59.
    Marrick, joeuk and redcow like this.
    Best regards, Mike

Re: Certina DiaMaster/Rado DiaStar 515

That is nice. I've certainly not seen one - or anything else co-branded Certina and Rado. Great job on the bracelet too.Name:  thumbsup.gif
Views: 1159
Size:  18.6 KB
    mike184 likes this.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

I bet the brothers Kurth were spinning in their graves...

Very very cool hand and index combo here. I like it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    That is nice. I've certainly not seen one - or anything else co-branded Certina and Rado. Great job on the bracelet too.Name:  thumbsup.gif
Views: 1159
Size:  18.6 KB
    Thanx, Marrick! You find more Certina-branded Rados(with Rado´s typical "pineapple-design on the rotor) and Rado cases with Certina inhouse calibers at Vintagecertinas. There had been more cooperations with other GWC(ASUAG)-companies inner the 1970s like Mido, Technos and there even exists a DiaStar 10/DiaMaster model labeled as Cartier.

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    I bet the brothers Kurth were spinning in their graves...

Very very cool hand and index combo here. I like it.
    The Kurth brothers must have been open-minded about modern design - at least Alfred was still alive when the company launched their first digital(jump-hour) watch in 1936.
    I love the hand an marker combo on the DS 515 - and I love it that M. Breschan, the new Rado CEO, reflates such vintage designs being typical for Rado. At least one of the new D-Star models wears exactly the same hands and an inner bezel with marker ring:
    Best regards, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike184 View Post
    The Kurth brothers must have been open-minded about modern design - at least Alfred was still alive when the company launched their first digital(jump-hour) watch in 1936.
    I am more meaning the relabeling of a pure Rado with the Certina Brand. That I doubt they would have been pleased about.

Its a great watch, and really captures the design elements and the step change induced turmoil of the times.

congrats mike on a great looking piece, great case and dial and now looks super clean.
    mike184 likes this.

very nice watch thanks for sharing
    mike184 likes this.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    I am more meaning the relabeling of a pure Rado with the Certina Brand. That I doubt they would have been pleased about.

Its a great watch, and really captures the design elements and the step change induced turmoil of the times.
    OK, I agree - they hadn´t been very amused.
    As to read in the Hayek-biography(Jürg Wegeli - Mr. Swatch), Rado had been the only company in the whole ASUAG/SMH collection, which never operated in the loss zone - easy to understand that the ASUAG in the "quartz crisis" of the mid/late 1970s tried to lift up the turnovers of their other companies with Rado´s case technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuk View Post
    congrats mike on a great looking piece, great case and dial and now looks super clean.
    Quote Originally Posted by georges zaslavsky View Post
    very nice watch thanks for sharing
    Thanx, guys!
    IMHO, it´s one of Rado´s most fascinating vintage designs, but this watch is so rare to find and expensive that I didn´t really expect to find one.
    Best regards, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike184 View Post
    OK, I agree - they hadn´t been very amused.
    As to read in the Hayek-biography(Jürg Wegeli - Mr. Swatch), Rado had been the only company in the whole ASUAG/SMH collection, which never operated in the loss zone - easy to understand that the ASUAG in the "quartz crisis" of the mid/late 1970s tried to lift up the turnovers of their other companies with Rado´s case technology.

Thanx, guys!
    IMHO, it´s one of Rado´s most fascinating vintage designs, but this watch is so rare to find and expensive that I didn´t really expect to find one.

Hello
    I found this post via google, as I bought my girlfriend a watch from a local old watch repairsman whom have had the watch for at least 10 years, its really nice but she dont like it after some month, she ways she cant read the time :)
    Too bad as I have to sell it to get her something else, I collect other brands like seiko and tudor and have no idea about the value of this watch, do you have any idea ? Its great condition !

Some links to pictures:

http://i49.tinypic.com/24fy0kx.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/i3h2tg.jpg

Br
    Captain

Hi Captain!

Very nice watch, I find it easy to read the time.
    A Rado ladies´ DiaStar in Certina clothes. We´re not allowed to do valuations here(forum rules). But I can tell you that ladies´ watches go for much less than gents´models. You could offer it at the Rado Exchange, linked on my HP below.
    Best regards, Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information