Certina DS-2 troubleshooting.
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Certina DS-2 troubleshooting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Certina DS-2 troubleshooting.

I've wanted a turtle back for a long time - Imagine my joy when i found one for 30 danish kr, or around 3gbp - Well nothing is obviously as easy as that, it was covered in a thick thick yellow layer of muck, but when i got that off i was greated to a watch in overall rather good cosmetic shape.

The movement is a 25-66m that looks clean aswell (there was a lot of gunk on the caseback from the gasket thugh). However i quickly found out that things aren't as they should be:

When you pull the crown to set time, only the hour hand moves.
    When you wind it, it keeps pretty good time, however only the second and minute hands move.

What could be the cause of that? I doubt I dare try to fix it myself, but would like to know if it's worth sending in for repair, or am I better off selling it for parts, and buying a working one?

Shum likes this.

Re: Certina DS-2 troubleshooting.

Sounds like cannon pinion issue :)
    KasperDK, busmatt and Shum like this.
    Chaos is my focus

Yes it does and that means the dial and hands must come off.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Cheers guys, it also means that I'll have to find someone to pay to do it cos i don't think i trust my watchmaking skills enough to do that:)

Do you think it's worth spending money on, or is it better to sell it and find another?
    busmatt and Shum like this.

If you want a nice watch to wear then it's worth paying for a good fix up but as many have said you don't add value to cover the cost on most old watches and at most one should be happy if it draws even. And you are right it's not the watch to learn on so pass it on if you are not willing to spend the money. You would however feel good if you had it fixed.

If you bought it for three quid, then how could it not be worth fixing? It's a Certina DS-2. And it's a good "bulletproof" vintage watch for daily wear.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    If you bought it for three quid, then how could it not be worth fixing? It's a Certina DS-2. And it's a good "bulletproof" vintage watch for daily wear.
    Well the reason why I ask is that I have no idea what it would cost to ha e something like that fixed, I don't imagine a watchmaker charges less to fix a cheap watch than an expensive ;)

Quote Originally Posted by KasperDK View Post
    . . . . When you pull the crown to set time, only the hour hand moves. When you wind it, it keeps pretty good time, however only the second and minute hands move. . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by laikrodukas View Post
    Sounds like cannon pinion issue :)
    Interesting.

In the setting mode the set wheel drives the minute wheel which in turn drives the hour wheel (via its leaves) and cannon pinion (via the its teeth) - "independently" of each other - but the minute wheel's teeth engage both the setting wheel and the cannon pinion simultaneously and for the setting function to work on the hour wheel it must also work on the cannon pinion for the cannon pinion's teeth drive the hour wheel via the minute wheel's leaves.

Clear as mud?

Seldom do cannon pinion teeth fail - more often it is the softer minute wheel teeth. Perhaps the cannon pinion has become unseated and is "up" on the center wheel pinion and failing to engage the minute wheel? Alternatively, the set wheel may have a more positive engagement with perhaps mangled minute wheel teeth than does the cannon pinion or the cannon pinion teeth may be rounded off.
    laikrodukas, Shum, radger and 1 others like this.

I just admire Your posts mister :)
    Chaos is my focus

Yeah, me too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information