Certina DS-4
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Certina DS-4

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Certina DS-4

I have been looking at the Certina DS-4 and was wondering when the model was set into production? I can't seem to find any information about that specific model.

According to Shum's amazing serial number thread, the serial number dates it to after 1976.

The movement inside is a cal 919.1 automatic - is this any good and is it even an in-house movement?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

CphCollector

Sendt fra min GT-I9100 med Tapatalk2

Re: Certina DS-4

You can check here.

Vintage CERTINAs ¦ Movements
    CphCollector likes this.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

The movement 919/920-1 was the last in-house movement produced by Certina, implemented from 1976. So now at least I know that it is an in-house movement - thanks!

Do anyone know wheter or not they stopped using that particular movement at some point, thus enabling me to narrow the dating of the watch a bit more?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Fun to see someone looking at my Certina info.

I believe that the DS-3 with the 919-1 was released in 1977 so the DS-4 919-1 would be from around 1980 and with the DS-5 it was quartz only.

I'm not entirely convinced the 919-1 is all Certina but designed by someone else then adopted by Certina but then as you say the information is very scarce about this the last Certina movement.

One can date watches by the hands and if the hands are all rectangular it's in the 70's but if the hands are more slender and almost look to small then it's more likely from the 80's.

In 1983 Certina went up into the Swatch group and nothing Certina was used that I know of so that is the cut off year.
    Last edited by Shum; October 7th, 2014 at 19:28.
    CphCollector likes this.

The DS-3 with the 919-1 was of course released in 1976.

I also just found a DS-5 with 1979 engraved on the back so one would think the DS-4 was released earlier. I have a Certina quartz watch from 1972 and I have seen the same watch model being sold in 1976 so a model was made during several years.
    Last edited by Shum; October 7th, 2014 at 19:47.

Your serial number thread is great - so thanks for that!

I ended up bidding on the ds-4 after reading your comments. I got out bid though so I had to let it go :(

I have a ds-2 which I really like so I am on the look out for some more CErtina merchandise ;)

Try buying Certina watches from the Scandinavian countries as we are flush with them.

Certina prices are going up all the time so I only buy wrecks and next week I'm going to build my own DS-2 and then a Town and Country.

I bought a lot of parts for Certina watches in an auction last summer and this is the reason I collected so much information about Certina watches as I didn't know what went with what but now I know more.
    Last edited by Shum; October 7th, 2014 at 23:15.
    bobbee and CphCollector like this.

Thanks for the tip Shum. I am from Denmark so I'll just have to keep my eyes open :)

Seeing that you are quite the Certina expert I think I'll try hi-jacking my own thread with a question about the hands on a DS-2. How do you rate the hands on this DS-2? They look like something that was installed recently and not the hands the watch came with from Certina, or I am I off here?

Name:  Udklip.JPG
Views: 484
Size:  44.0 KB
    bobbee likes this.

Yes you are right on all DS-2 watches I have had the minute and hour hands went past the center protruding on the back end just like the second hand does and the minute hand was longer.

Saying that they did make variations over time and here is one with similar hands to yours.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CERTINA-DS-2...item566ab94bc1
    Last edited by Shum; October 8th, 2014 at 21:55.
    bobbee and CphCollector like this.

It is the same watch so it is not that strange that it is exactly the same hands ;)

But dont you agree that the hands look misplaced?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information