Certina DS- should I buy this watch?

Thread: Certina DS- should I buy this watch?

Certina DS- should I buy this watch?

I spotted this around. The condition is poor. I am not sure but is it possible that the balance wheel has some rust on it? Apart from that the movement looks clean and nice and it runs ok. Original bracelet and crown marked certina. And I am thinking a new dial and crystal will make this watch look nice.

Of course the price was the one that got my attention as it is about 15 - 20 times less that it should be for same model in good condition. However it comes from a not so trusted location.
    Is this a franken certina? the hands seems a bit different from what I have seen on DS. Thanks

Re: Certina DS- should I buy this watch?

The case looks right, I compared it to mine and it's a match, that's the right case. If the hands have a gold finish they may be original, that looks like the right style of hands to me. Compare to this photo I found:

Name:  ds3.jpg
Views: 3892
Size:  216.3 KB

Depends on what price we are talking about, LSD. There is a similar (no date) DS on eBay right now for £300 more or less. You are looking here at redoing the dial, which I would cost around £80-100. I can't see the rust on the balance you talk about, but at least the rotor has no scour marks on it. So probably looking at another £50-80 to overhaul the movement if there are no big problems. How do those numbers look to you? You'd probably get it back to the market cost/value if you were to do those things (I know I would).
    But I like the DS, have quite a soft spot for them. Sadly, they don't go for big money in general.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks. It does seem to match. I am stil in doubt about the balance wheel. I dont know if that's dirt, discolouration or rust. In case it's rusty that will need a change no?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LoveSexAndDrugs; November 28th, 2013 at 17:19.

Can't really see the balance wheel, but the absence of rust and muck elsewhere suggests it's something in the shadows. Movement looks pretty clean, really.

I found that watch for sale. The bracelet is very desirable, I'd pay good money for one. But not in that condition, the seller makes it clear that the bracelet has serious problems. This kind of thing makes me trust a seller, if you want it for the watch not the bracelet and you're fine with the restoration cost, I say great. The balance wheel thing looks like shadows to me, no way to be sure from a photo though.

I do not think a Franken, or anything but original
    That said face is distressed
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Thanks guys. I don't need the bracelet since i don't like metal ones. I am a leather fan so i am aiming for the watch only. I think i got my answer.
    I saw they are around 300 quid and I know the one you talking Habitant. At the moment this is going much under.. depends how will the bid end I will probably go for it if is under 50 quid. As for the restoring costs, will prob cost me 1/3 of what you mentioned since ill do it outside uk.

I m a certina fan myself and a DS is one of the watches I'm missing and I like the most. However I am not in the position to pay that amount for a mint one. My other passion which is travelling cuts most of the funds.

Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LoveSexAndDrugs; November 29th, 2013 at 00:55.

I was talking retail, not trade prices.

Thread Information