Certina/Edox/Technos

Thread: Certina/Edox/Technos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Certina/Edox/Technos

I've been trying to unravel the relationship between Certina, Edox and Technos. As founding associates of The General Watch Co (ASUAG) in 1970 it's clear that they would have been able to share suppliers and patents. Edox and Technos were reorganized under joint management in 1977, with Certina coming under the same umbrella, in 1980. It's clear that the Certina DS2 PH200M Diver has the same case as the Technos Sky Diver 250. The Edox Delphin Diver looks the same but it? I know that the Certina Super DS2 500 and 1000 also have Technos Sky Diver equivalents. There is an Edox Sky Diver 250 that looks different from my Technos Sky Diver 250 but there were a least 4 case variations for the PH200M so it might be a variation I'm not as familiar with. The real head scratcher, for me, is the the relationship between the Edox Delphin and the Certina DS2 they look the same but sometimes the dimensions match and sometimes the Delphin is slightly smaller. Does anyone know if they shared cases? I know that at least early in their production runs they were different because the Delphin was introduced in 1961 and the DS2 in 1968. Certina had a history of changing cases without changing model names so it wouldn't be unprecedented for the combined companies to do the same.

Re: Certina/Edox/Technos

I thought General was created WAY before 1970. Volume 1 of Bestfit (pre 1969 IRC) lists dozens of General calibres. It also shows the General Cartouche as the same as Helvetia who made watches (at least) as early as the 1940s

When I do a little more digging, I come up with:
    Louis Brandt, the one who's (main) company later became known as "Omega" (in
    1903) founded the "General Watch Company" in 1880. This later became known as
    Helvetia. However, I was always under the impression that Helvetia had little
    if anything to do per se with Omega - the two should be independent companies.
    As such, the name Omega when used in conjunction with the eBay watch is a
    little misleading.
    Hartmut Richter on
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...01#post1872501

and
    1880: Foundation of La Generale Watch Co / General Watch Co by the company Louis Brandt & Fils (Omega) for manufacturing cylinder watches.
    1885: Transfer of the trade mark Helvertia from Louis Brandt & Fils to the new La Generale Watch Co.
    1968: Aquisition of the movement factory Helvetia SA in Reconvilier by the SGT (Societe des Garde-Temps SA). The watch factory Montres Helvetia SA in Bienne remained independent.
    1970: Aquisition of the Montres Helvetia SA by the ASUAG (Allgemeine Schweizerische Uhrenindustrie AG).
    Although founded to produce cylinder watches, the genuine Helvertia calibres are all lever movements of enhanced quality.
    First only self designed calibres were produced, but later also movements from AS and ETA were upgraded.
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...k&Helvetia_000

There is a detailed history about some of this here in French:

http://www.invenitetfecit.com/index.html, (but not as detailed as nsmike would like.)

and translated here:

http://swisswatchguy.blogspot.com/
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A picture of a ad I just purchased :Technos Sky Diver 1000m sharing the same case as the Certina DS-3, Ds-2 Super PH1000M.
    Last edited by pilotswatch; May 20th, 2010 at 13:31.
    pilotswatch

Certina/Technos Sky Diver 1000m

Finally took pictures of my Technos Sky Diver 1000m.
    pilotswatch

Re: Certina/Technos Sky Diver 1000m

pilotswatch you sure have been busy hear's a picture of my Technos Sky Diver 250 and an Edox Delphin Diver both obviously using the Certina PH200M DS2 case
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Certina/Technos Sky Diver 1000m

This is a Sky Diver based on an Edox Case with a picture of a Technos that uses the same case without the bezel

Great watches for a lesser price.
    pilotswatch

A little more information I've gathered. Certina was a very popular watch in the Scandinavian countries and to a lesser extent Germany and Italy. Technos was very strong in Japan and Brazil and to a lesser extent the rest of Asia and South America. I haven't been able to find a definitive statement on were Edox was strong but circumstantial evidence points to Asia and South America. A Mexican company by the name Haste seems to have used Edox as a supplier for watches sold under that brand name. The distribution pattern may explain way ASAUG sold off Edox and Technos and retained Certina.

Another Picture to add to go with the Sky Chief previously shown with the Edox Cased Sky Diver

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information