Certina Town & Country

Thread: Certina Town & Country

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    stuffler,mike

Certina Town & Country

My father in law bought this watch in the 70ties and now he decided to give it to me.

The watch will need some service (loss a 5 min per day) but this shouldn´t be a big deal - probably just a cleaning

Have not opened the back yet but I am sure the Town & Country is fitted with an old Certina inhouse caliber.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; December 29th, 2006 at 18:56.

Re: Certina Town & Country

Congrats!

Nice example of a T&C.
    A lot of samples offered in the bay have some wear on the dial in the corners, where yours seems to be in perfect condition. I wouldn't be surprised to find something like a Certina 23-36 or a 25-36 inside, something like that:

Cheers,

Axel

I understand that Certina has some in-house movements. They were good watches in the 1960-70's. Here is my "new" certina.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Beautyful example soviet!

Certina made great in-house movements. Even the late 70's they still had some nice modifications on ETA-based ones.

Here in Europe Certina's most known model should be the DS. That originally meant double security and debuted somewhere around the mid-60's. Typically the movement is held by a plastic-ring (note: at that time plastic meant high tech) to act as an additional shock absorber. Also typically for a DS is the Turtle engraved in the back, where there are some "Junior" models without it.

However another well-known earlier model should be the "Labora" a 40's watch designed to be robust, marketed to be shock- and water resistant as well as antimagnetic (we all know, what shock-resistant and antimagnetic meant at this time, though)!

Personally I'm more after other Certinas, as there are still cheap to get (there was a kind of a DS hype recently) and I don't hestitate to compare their Quality at that time with Longines or even Omega.

Here're my litle collection (hope you don't get me wrong - I just wanna share it):

Cheers,

Axel

stuffler,mike

Well, Certina watches are still a bit underrated imho. They are real bargains

Axel - I really appreciate the photos - particularly well composed and missing reflections in the glasses.

Thanks

JohnW

Thanks a lot!
    I'm using a neutral white plastic-box ("Ikea-box") and sunlight or the built-in flash of my camera, that I then let flash through the wall of the box, covering where necessary to avoid direct exposure to the object.
    However, I'm going to purchase an external flash next year.

Cheers,

Axel

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Well, Certina watches are still a bit underrated imho. They are real bargains
    I think so. They are much cheaper than those well advertised brands, but offer excellent quality for the money.

Here is another one in excellent condition with an in-house 25-66 movement.

Hi,

Just caught another Certina with a hacking movement. The movement is signed 453, and it seems beat very fast. It also has a same case as the one with 25-66 movement. Could anyone tell me more about the movement? Age, bph,rare or not,etc? I will post an image later. Thanks.

Zhang

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    Hi,

Just caught another Certina with a hacking movement. The movement is signed 453, and it seems beat very fast. It also has a same case as the one with 25-66 movement. Could anyone tell me more about the movement? Age, bph,rare or not,etc? I will post an image later. Thanks.

Zhang

Here is an image of the movement. Someone said it is an ETA 2750. I have some watches with ETA 2750, but none of them has a hacking feature.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information