Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Certina Vainqueur and Longines pocket watch - restoration

Name:  20121125_122604_resize.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  873.0 KBName:  20121125_122805_resize.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  932.7 KB

Hello,

As you could see the condition of these watch is very poor, however certina proves it`s quality because the watch works and show the time correctly when it`s wind up. The pocket watch Longines unfortunately I don`t know it`s model is more preserved but is not working. I would like to restore these watches in memoriam to my grandfather which belonged.
    Can you tell me is it possible to change the dial of the Certina, or do you think some watchmaker could paint it or else. The Longines has carved sign " Canon Ithi" on the back bonnet do you know what it is?

Thank you in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by medicus; November 25th, 2012 at 22:11.

Re: Certina Vainqueur and Longines pocket watch - restoration

The Longines is far more valuable than the Certina... But, as heirlooms, they have a value far more than any market price!

International Dial can easily refinish the Certina dial. Usually the process is to find a watchmaker who will disassemble the watch, send them the dial, and then service and reassemble once the dial comes back.

The Longines may just be dirty and need a cleaning/lube. A watchmaker will have to look at it.

Now all you have to do is find a watchmaker who is competent and not so busy he won't take the work... My watchmaker is Russian but he is here in the States. I am sure you can find someone more local
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

The Longines looks pretty cool. I would try to get it running.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for your suggestions. I found one watchmaker who checked the Certina on some device that measures the "tick-tack" rythm, something I compare to ECG in medicine :) After the diagnostics he explained to me that the watch works pretty fine for those years. He refused to take the Longines, this mechanism was pretty complicated for him :) Also told me that very few watchmakers in Bulgaria are familiar with this type of watches, damn. He suggest me to ask Certina for a new dial, assuming that this would be very expensive and not worth it.
    I`ve never heard about International Dial, this is something I should try.
    Do you think there is anything to do with the case of the Certina, or doing so is equal to buying a new watch.

P.S. mpalmer I would love to but you are quite far from my place.

Misterpeter

Hello Medicus,

Quote Originally Posted by medicus View Post
    He refused to take the Longines, this mechanism was pretty complicated for him :) Also told me that very few watchmakers in Bulgaria are familiar with this type of watches, damn.
    That's a bit disturbing, since it's a "common" and simple chronograph. Nothing really complicated here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Bulgaria, many watchmakers should know about Russian chronographs, right ? If they're able to work on these, they can work on this Longines too, as it's easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterpeter View Post
    Hello Medicus,

That's a bit disturbing, since it's a "common" and simple chronograph. Nothing really complicated here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Bulgaria, many watchmakers should know about Russian chronographs, right ? If they're able to work on these, they can work on this Longines too, as it's easier.
    Hello Misterpeter,

Yes, you are right! I was also a bit suprised, but what can I do. Seems like the new generation haven`t learned the lesson from their parents about the Russian mechanism. Anyway I found one old Armenian watchmaker and restorator and I hope that he will be my guy.

Misterpeter

Quote Originally Posted by medicus View Post
    Hello Misterpeter,

Yes, you are right! I was also a bit suprised, but what can I do. Seems like the new generation haven`t learned the lesson from their parents about the Russian mechanism. Anyway I found one old Armenian watchmaker and restorator and I hope that he will be my guy.
    Did he open it and look inside ? He maybe saw something was broken, and judged he couldn't get the part or could not make it himself either.

Yes, he opened it and glanced inside. He didn`t told me that anything was broken, he just mentioned that he is not familiar with this mechanism and could not repair it.

Name:  2014-01-19 10.35.53.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  140.5 KB
    Hello again,
    After an year and something finally I can show you the result of the restored Certina. I have sent the dial to International Dial company and it took them almost 6 month to retouch it. Then I took it to a local watchmaker who polish it, change the cover glass and repair it. Now it works and I really like it although it looks a bit small on my wrist. Thank you for your suggestion once again guys ! Now it`s time for the pocketwatch :)
    Shum likes this.

Very nice!

Was it expensive?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information