Charles Hubert pocket watch

Thread: Charles Hubert pocket watch

Charles Hubert pocket watch

This I think seems good value for anyone on a tight budget or just starting out.

Brand: Charles Hubert (new)

Price paid: $69 US

Movement: Basic Chinese (however would appear to have been assembled with reasonable care)

Accuracy: Gained 7 seconds over about a 30 hour period

So its no Rolex for sure but I can live with the accuracy etc for under $70
    Good introduction as I start to learn a little about mechanical wizardry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Charles Hubert pocket watch

Probably the "Chinese Standard Movement" in skeleton form.

Unhappy Re: Charles Hubert pocket watch

Hi Bruce2,

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce2 View Post
    This I think seems good value for anyone on a tight budget or just starting out.
    Can't aggree . Try to sell it second hand on ebay, and you'll see that 68
    bucks of the 69 were wasted - too much for a tight budget.

If you buy an old silver watch for the same price, it usually will run longer
    than China junk, even without any service. And if periodically serviced it will
    keep or even increase its value forever.

That's budget efficiency (although still a lousy investment).

Regards, Roland Ranfft

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I agree with Roland. Nothing beats the quality of an antique or vintage pocket-watch, made back when they were king of the timekeeping world.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Looking at it in that perspective your probably right, certainly as I gain a little more experience my views will no doubt change. I guess that is one of the good aspects of forums such as this where you get to speak with folk who have had many years experience in the field.

Anyway. You have the watch. What do you intend to do with it now?
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Don't be too quick to slag the Chinese movements. Provided there isn't anything actually defective, you'll find it more then adequate for basic timekeeping. And since it costs less then your average "service", if it lasts for more then 5 years, you've come out ahead. At least, as long as you weren't looking for a heirloom to pass down through the generations (although as far as that goes, there's lots of people "treasuring" their parents/grandparents Timex's and Dollar Watches...).

Best of all, if you're so inclined, it makes a great place to start into learning to clean and service them yourself, since it's so cheap.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

That's pretty much going to be the intention. once I have something a little better, it will be used as an way of learning to service mechanical movements. If I stuff it up (which is highly likely) it won't be any massive loss.

I have a stainless day/night demi-hunter of fairly new manufacture. It was a time I swore off wristwatches for a time and had a brand new one monogrammed to me. It was a daily use watch for half a decade and was fairly accurate over the course of a week +- about two minutes. I still use it for rough duty days that tend to scratch crystals on the wristwatches.

Cheers

GC

Quote Originally Posted by 3sails View Post
    I have a stainless day/night demi-hunter of fairly new manufacture. It was a time I swore off wristwatches for a time and had a brand new one monogrammed to me. It was a daily use watch for half a decade and was fairly accurate over the course of a week +- about two minutes. I still use it for rough duty days that tend to scratch crystals on the wristwatches.

Cheers

GC
    Glen! I had no idea you were a member here.

To add, i actually bought one of these for a friend of mine a few years ago and it wasn't too bad, it wasn't the model in the original post but it was a Charles Hubert. They seem decent for a Chinese watch, assembly seems to be the biggest issues with low end watches and the one i had seemed fairly clean and without any issues.

However, i have to agree that a vintage piece would be a better choice, even if it's a little bit more in price, the value for price of a vintage watch completely beats the value for price of almost any modern watch, Chinese or otherwise.

Thread Information