Charles Oudin Silver Key PW

Thread: Charles Oudin Silver Key PW

Charles Oudin Silver Key PW

I recently bought this pocket watch at an auction, and I really don't know too much about it. I'm a relatively new collector, but don't have any experience with older key-wind pocket watches. The case is made of silver, and it has beautiful engravings. Does anyone have any more information on Charles Oudin? This is basically all I could find...along with plenty of incredibly nice solid gold watches:

Charles Oudin worked in Paris from 1807 until about 1880. He was Clockmaker to the Emperor & Empress of Russia, and a pupil of Breguet.

It ticks away, and seems to be working correctly, until it stops when the second hand is in a certain spot almost every time around, and you just give it a small tap and it starts going again. I obviously don't repair watches, so does anyone happen to know if this is just a simple problem? It winds nicely, and nothing is blocking the hands that I know of on the outside. Anyways, it seems to be a very nice PW, possibly rare? I'll probably end up selling it in the long run, but hopefully there is some decent value.

Thank you all for any information, greatly appreciated!

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Re: Charles Oudin Silver Key PW

A photo of the movement will tell more. At the moment you have only shown us photos of the case and dial which tell us something about those, but not about the most important part.

Name:  oudin.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  153.7 KB
    Name:  oudin1.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  187.5 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sorry about that. I actually included the movement picture, but it was a broken link apparently. Here it is.

Also, thank you very much for that article eri, great information!

Last edited by Tipton444; September 12th, 2013 at 21:45.

That's amazing that he made watches for all those great names, including Napolean! It says Oudin watches usually fetch a high price at auction, do you think that pertains to the silver ones as well? Or would those be considered on the low end, since the majority of what I've seen are 18k. Hopefully that picture has helped a bit. It would be really interesting to learn about the movement, as well as if it's an easy fix.

Thread Information