Check out my new 1950's Tissot Square GF Bumper (And help me ID it)
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By avivalasvegas

Thread: Check out my new 1950's Tissot Square GF Bumper (And help me ID it)

Question Check out my new 1950's Tissot Square GF Bumper (And help me ID it)

Absolutely love this cousin of the Omega Square Bumper that appears to be far more common. Problem is I know v. little about this watch, which makes it hard to find the right London destination for service. Any help/ comments would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by avivalasvegas; June 1st, 2015 at 18:14.
    busmatt and Paleotime like this.

Re: Check out my new 1950's Tissot Square GF Bumper (And help me ID it)

The serial number starting with a "278" or "276" dates the watch to 1952. It's most likely a calibre 28.5-1 bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Tissot 28.5-1

Looks like it was intended for the American market- the movement and dial were cased in America, and there should be an import code on the balance cock.

Unfortunately, it's most likely a redial in a not-so-good meaning of this word. The script for "Automatic" is entirely wrong- should not be in italics! Unless the American market Tissot watches had it different, but I doubt it.
    The seconds hand is too long and inconsistent in style, as well as it should be gold- that said, it's a replacement. Look at Tissot watches from the early 1950s, to find a matching one, and you might be able to get a replacement- though it won't be that easy.

All in all, it's a nice piece- and not one seen often. Square-case bumper Tissot- that's something one doesn't see often.
    Unfortunately I cannot recommend any watchmaker in your area, but as to the watch itself, the issues are nothing horrible, it's just the hand, and possibly- if you want to have it all correct- a small intervention with the dial.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Here's another one I found on Ebay - looks like it has a black sub second dial hand as well

TISSOT Gold Filled Mens SQUARE Dress Watch, 17 Jewels AUTOMATIC BUMPER Movement | eBay

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Picture no.5 in the listing shows clearly that it's gold. It's a matter of light and the angle. Have a look at the font used for "automatic"- that's the way it should be...
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

I see it. Should be easy to swap the second hand out if I can find a donor. The problem is getting the movement serviced at the right center.

Thread Information