Christmas heirlooms: Hamilton, LeCoultre - identification?
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By azkid
  • 2 Post By FreddyNorton
  • 1 Post By journeyforce

Thread: Christmas heirlooms: Hamilton, LeCoultre - identification?

Christmas heirlooms: Hamilton, LeCoultre - identification?

My dad-in-law (Mike) and I were talking about my watch tinkering and long story short, he presented me with these as projects. I thought some folks might like to see these. Also I need help :)

The LeCoultre was Mike's dad's watch, worn a lot. Unfortunately the crystal is cracked. I have searched for awhile to identify the model but to no avail so far. I am hoping GS (or someone) made a crystal for these.

Can anyone recommend good sources for identifying this watch so I can begin my crystal quest?

Or can anyone identify it or date it, for that matter?

Here is the movement:

The Hamilton Masterpiece was a retirement gift for Mike's dad in 1966 and is inscribed on the back. It was worn for many years also as evidenced by the case and crystal :)

As you can imagine I am pretty blown away to have these priceless family treasures and will cherish them and pass them down.

I will be getting the Hamilton serviced professionally, once I find a correct crown for it. Fortunately, the watch eagerly starts running with the slightest movement.

Mike owned and wore the Lucerne. I have been wanting one of those for awhile (why you ask? Why not, I say) :)

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Timex Sinclair 1000 using Tapatalk

Re: Christmas heirlooms: Hamilton, LeCoultre - identification?

Great heirlooms, thanks for sharing. I think it will be easier to identify the necessary crystal by taking measurements than by finding the model name of the watch.

I know you probably also want to know if the LeCoultre had a model name for other reasons as well, but I just wanted to mention that the absence of a model name won't be an impediment to replacing the crystal.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Nice watches

The LeCoultre should not be hard to find a crystal for. It actually looks like a few Bulova watches I have owned. So chances are that it will use a crystal that was for a Bulova. Simply measure the crystal.

Is the Hamilton a 14kt gold watch? Then it should share the same crown as a Thin-o-matic T200/201

There is a guy by the name of Dan Keefe that runs the Hamilton Chronicles website

Vintage Hamilton Watch Restoration

He might be able to identify the right crown(or a good replacement) for you

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Very nice watches. If you can post the exact measurements of the crystal and post a picture so I can see if its flat or curved I can look through my pile and find you one. I have 1000s of loose crystals when I went nuts buying on ebay. I can send it to you for nothing.
    tinknocker and bluestifford like this.

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyNorton View Post
    Very nice watches. If you can post the exact measurements of the crystal and post a picture so I can see if its flat or curved I can look through my pile and find you one. I have 1000s of loose crystals when I went nuts buying on ebay. I can send it to you for nothing.
    Thanks so much! I will get you measurements soon. If I can ever help you with pocket watch stems or sleeves, or Timex stems give me a shout. :)

Quote Originally Posted by journeyforce View Post
    Nice watches
    Thanks and thanks for the info. I will check with Dan. It is a 14k case so hopefully the thin-o-matic crowns will be the ticket.

The LeCoultre reminds me of some Bulovas I have seen also. I have a couple of 50's Bulova tanks, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    Great heirlooms, thanks for sharing. I think it will be easier to identify the necessary crystal by taking measurements than by finding the model name of the watch.

I know you probably also want to know if the LeCoultre had a model name for other reasons as well, but I just wanted to mention that the absence of a model name won't be an impediment to replacing the crystal.
    Thanks for the kind words and info. No worries on the model name of the LeCoultre. Beyond the crystal, I was just curious. It is otherwise complete, thankfully. :)

Sent from my Timex Sinclair 1000 using Tapatalk

Here is my Hamilton Thin-o-Matic. Or should I say was mine as I traded it for another hamilton.

This is a mystery watch. The serial number inside the case dates it to 1966. However when looking at the Hamilton catalog, the dial matches the T-414 but the case is different so I suspect it is a unmarked Hamilton Masterpiece (perhaps a sample)

If you look at mine, you will see your case is somewhat the same so the crown on this watch will fit yours.

The crown has the Hamilton H on it.

Good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images

azkid likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyNorton View Post
    I'll PM you too. Thanks again!

The crystal measures 18.76mm x 24.03mm (W x L) -- the bezel opening is in the vicinity of 18.63mm x 24.4mm (W x L).

The shape of the crystal is curved along its length (longer of the two dimensions) but no curve along its width, if that makes sense?

Thread Information