chrono-matic Caliber 11 - Page 2

Thread: chrono-matic Caliber 11

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: chrono-matic Caliber 11

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    ... No wonder the El Primero is still in production and holding its own against the competition without seeming antiquated....
    Isn't that a little bit unfair in regards of the 8110 Citizen? O.K. it came later, but without Citizen's success in quartz-watches (and therefore loosing intrest in such a movement) it could still be a competitor imho. And, please don't forget, that the movement's production (ElPrimero) has also been interrupted, at least up to my knowledge.

Cheers,

Axel

Just found this while looking up the 7750

http://www.ozdoba.net/swisswatch/autochrono.html

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsinwalter View Post
    Just found this while looking up the 7750

http://www.ozdoba.net/swisswatch/autochrono.html
    Thanks a lot!
    Missing to mention Citizen, though!

Cheers,

Axel

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Axel66 View Post
    Isn't that a little bit unfair in regards of the 8110 Citizen? O.K. it came later, but without Citizen's success in quartz-watches (and therefore loosing intrest in such a movement) it could still be a competitor imho. And, please don't forget, that the movement's production (ElPrimero) has also been interrupted, at least up to my knowledge.

Cheers,

Axel
    Why should it be unfair to the Citizen 8110? Or the Seiko 6139 or valjoux 7750 or other such movements? Just because the El Primero was not produced continuously during the "dark era" when quartz looked like completely ousting the mechanical wrist watch. The fact of the matter is that it was the first and that it is still produced today and that this is not just because it was the first (i.e. to cling on to a piece of outdated history, sort of resting on your laurels) but because it is still very much up to date - chronometric accuracy, long power reserve (50h) despite its high beat of 36000A/h, with date display (which is more that one can say for the Rolex 4135) and all that at 6.5mm thick which compares quite well with those developed after it. Furthermore, everyone seems to say that it is like a thoroughbred racehorse (perhaps because it has such a high beat), making it rather more sensitive and needing special care than "workhorses" such as the Valjoux 7750 - well, I remember such a discussion on the old Zenith forum comparing the Zenith El Primero vs. Rolex 4135 vs. Omega 33xx series and a watchmaker pipped in to say that the El Primero "could still be repaired after an absolute butcher of a watchmaker has been at it" which doesn't suggest extreme sensitivity to me! Also, mine has never given me any trouble, even when worn as an everyday watch.

I still believe that the EP is up to date these days, which suggests that it was well ahead of its time when it was brought out in 1969 (or that the development of automatic chronographs has not advanced very much since then, which I personally find hard to believe when I survey the market these days). This is not to say that other chronographs nearly as old are not up to date these days - but evidently the main competitor, the one that sparked off this thread (Cal. 11) was not! Otherwise, the "new Cal. 11" would be based on a similar idea, if not be an exact remake, rather than just another dial-side module on an ETA 2892.

Hartmut Richter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information