Chrono-Sport France 17 jewels
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Chrono-Sport France 17 jewels

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chrono-Sport France 17 jewels

I was given this watch recently by someone who found it in a lot of scrap jewelry. Much to my surprise not only does it run, but it keeps excellent time (less than a minute fast in 24 hours...hard to be precise as the movement isn't a hacking one), the chronograph starts and stops perfectly and the reset is immediate and perfectly aligned. There is some wear commensurate with age; I'm guessing this is from the 60s maybe?

I'm unable to find anything out on the web regarding the history of this piece. There's an older thread on this board that references a similar watch but there are no clear answers there that I found either. eBay has an older listing that appears not to have sold so I'm also struggling to assign any sort of value to it.

I think it's cool and probably won't sell it. It's large enough that it wears well and doesn't look out of place on the wrist. Not sure what strap I'll put on it but I'll find something.

Anyone know anything about these? (the case back pic I liberated from online but it looks the same)

Name:  IMG_5535.jpeg
Views: 96
Size:  1.89 MBName:  IMG_5536.jpeg
Views: 90
Size:  1.88 MBName:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  384.1 KB
    James A likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Chrono-Sport France 17 jewels

Nice watch, although I'd be more inclined to say 1950s than 1960s. Assembled in France but undoubtedly with a Swiss movement. Despite "running well", it is probably in dire need of a service after all those years so I wouldn't run it much until it has had one.

Hartmut Richter
    jp.vegas likes this.

On this website the same watch appears to have an engraving on both inner case back and movements that says "ARLEN TROPHY CO INC FRANCE 188", so it might have a Venus 188 inside:
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item...-jewels-m5-289

Would be nice to have those pics of your watch as well to be more precise about it.
    I second the need of a service.
    jp.vegas likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Very appealing dial and hands.
    jp.vegas likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

I appreciate the replies so far. I’ll pull the case back and see what the movement is; i had heard they use the Venus 188 and I’m curious about that myself. Another one I have seen was using a Landeron 149 so it will need to be opened to solve the mystery.

Thanks for the counsel to get it serviced. No idea about a competent watchmaker around me but I’ll do some research. If there’s someone stateside I can send it to, I don’t mind doing that as well. I will heed that advice to not run it once it winds down.

find a good local WATCHMAKER (google) not a jeweller not a pawn shop they just send it to the watchmakers and add 50 %
    your watch has some value and it would be worth spending some coin on it.
    I wish i could think of something funny to put here.

I had some time this morning to open the case and what I found what appears to be a very nice condition Landeron 149. I've attached an image of the moment and the caseback as well. Any idea on the date or value of this piece?
    Attached Images Attached Images

busmatt likes this.

1950s still seems like a reasonable guess, but I don't think you will ever know for sure. This is a nice looking watch, but with the chrome-plated case (with some plating loss) and Landeron movement, it falls into the entry-level category. For value, I would check eBay, using the advanced search for sold items. It's not necessary to find watches with this brand, just look for chrome-plated chronographs with Landeron movements in similar condition. The black dial will help the value a bit.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by ErreCi View Post
    On this website the same watch appears to have an engraving on both inner case back and movements that says "ARLEN TROPHY CO INC FRANCE 188", so it might have a Venus 188 inside:
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item...-jewels-m5-289

Would be nice to have those pics of your watch as well to be more precise about it.
    I second the need of a service.
    I added caseback and movement pics above. Interestingly, mine also says Arlen Trophy Company but no 188 obviously as the movement is a Landeron 149.

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    1950s still seems like a reasonable guess, but I don't think you will ever know for sure. This is a nice looking watch, but with the chrome-plated case (with some plating loss) and Landeron movement, it falls into the entry-level category. For value, I would check eBay, using the advanced search for sold items. It's not necessary to find watches with this brand, just look for chrome-plated chronographs with Landeron movements in similar condition. The black dial will help the value a bit.

Thanks Dan. Not all that concerned with value as I'm not wanting to sell it, just more curious from an educational standpoint. I did start looking at Landeron 149 chronos on eBay and it's interesting as there are numerous brands and models that are similar with names I've also never heard of. The movement appears to have been engraved with various manufacturers names and some are noted as "Swiss" and some as "France" as mine is. I guess they were just manufactured under contract for whomever wanted them and personalized accordingly.

Personally I find it's still an attractive piece that looks used and not abused, chrome plating not withstanding. Again, thanks for your input :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information