chrono-sport of france question/s
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: chrono-sport of france question/s

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

chrono-sport of france question/s

hello vintage dwellers,

i will keep it brief, i own a few vintage watches and am developing a bit of a taste for them so while passing time over lunch i found myself buying another! paid pennies for it but just liked the look. wonder if anyone could share any knowledge on the maker or expected movement. im thinking a lauderon or 7733. the - in chrono-sport and the france at 6 have me stumped though. anyone have anything?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: chrono-sport of france question/s

I think it is a Venus 188 movement, but not 100% without seeing the inside

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@ Datreedude: can you tell me the hint that has you presume a 188? Just curious - is there something obvious giving that away to the naked eye over any Landeron?

@ deerworrier: mikrolisk.de has a few entries with 'Chrono-...' for Besançon, France. For instance, 'Chrono-Start' were registered for Pétolat Frères & Anguenot, and, particularly interesting, there was apparently a 'Chrono Consortium' and a 'Chrono Consortium Besançon', registered for the well-known Raymond Dodane and his Dodane SA (who, amongst others, were even suppliers to the French military, partaking in 'Project 20' for an indigenous, French pilot's chronograph in the 1950s.) What I find particularly intriguing is that the scales are set up for miles so this watch was clearly intended for the British or American market which would make your watch, if genuine, even rarer.

Let's see the movement once it is in. Maybe we're all wrong and it sports even some French chronograph movement?

Best regards
    Tomcat
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

tomcat and datreedude.

thanks gents, im guessing D-dude think venus 188 due to the twin chrono layout. tomcat, thanks and I hope it proves half as interesting as you make it sound.

I will post better pics as soon as it arrives.

cheers

Nice piece.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

[QUOTE=Tomcat1960;8097431]@ Datreedude: can you tell me the hint that has you presume a 188? Just curious - is there something obvious giving that away to the naked eye over any Landeron?

@Tomcat1960 I am basing my assumption on previous experiences with this maker. Most I believe of these earlier Chronosports housed a 188, and the later model housed a Landeron. I have had a very similar model of this Chronosport, and mine housed a 188 as well. But like I stated, I am not 100%. Either way, it is a very nice and seldom seen French based chrono for any collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat1960 View Post

Let's see the movement once it is in. Maybe we're all wrong and it sports even some French chronograph movement?

Best regards
    Tomcat
    LOL... I confess to never having seen a French chronograph movement. I suppose they might have existed... Did they? (The only thing rarer would be an American chronograph movement )
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    LOL... I confess to never having seen a French chronograph movement. I suppose they might have existed... Did they? (The only thing rarer would be an American chronograph movement )
    I thought of Bréguet, but I guess at that time they were already Swiss, weren't they?

Interesting read, by the way: Chronographes Type 20 et Type 21: un peu d'histoire | Le Blog des Montres

Best,
    Tomcat
    FrenchKiss likes this.
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Quote Originally Posted by deerworrier View Post
    hello vintage dwellers,

i will keep it brief, i own a few vintage watches and am developing a bit of a taste for them so while passing time over lunch i found myself buying another! paid pennies for it but just liked the look. wonder if anyone could share any knowledge on the maker or expected movement. im thinking a lauderon or 7733. the - in chrono-sport and the france at 6 have me stumped though. anyone have anything?
    Has it come in yet? Just wondering on if you have found out what it is.

I'm going to tag onto this conversation seeking chrono 7733 identification help myself...this is from a vintage Le Jour Le Mans watch I just picked up.
    I believe trademarked under Herma and exported under Le Jour with the movement possible made by/for Rexor (hence the R)? Anyone know?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information