Like Tree15Likes
  • 9 Post By sherwoodschwartz
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter
  • 2 Post By mkws
  • 2 Post By DaBaeker
  • 1 Post By sherwoodschwartz

Thread: chronograph buying frenzy- subdials haunt me

chronograph buying frenzy- subdials haunt me

over the last month or so i have purchased 3 chronographs. i've shied away from this type of watch in the past due to my lack of local resources for servicing. but apparently, i lost my mind very recently.

i am obviously not well.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: chronograph buying frenzy- subdials haunt me

Good on you! Everyone should have at least one chronograph. The Eterna is a fairly horrid redial, the Wyler I'm not sure about but the Olda looks rather nice.

Hartmut Richter
    sherwoodschwartz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Good on you! Everyone should have at least one chronograph. The Eterna is a fairly horrid redial, the Wyler I'm not sure about but the Olda looks rather nice.

Hartmut Richter
    Fairly horrid redial? Hartmut, the Eterna is perfectly original- it just isn't vintage. It's the Heritage Pulsometer 1942 Limited Edition, part of Eterna's Heritage collection. Unfortunately the date window- a plague among reissues of vintage watches- doesn't get along well with the design of this piece (that's just my opinion, of course), but it's still a good-looking watch.
    bobbee and sherwoodschwartz like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post

Hartmut Richter
    I think I saw that exact Eterna for sale recently and saw the re-lume job. But the Wyler is nice and the last one -Olda?- looks to be the best of the 3 and most likely 100% original

I went through my chronograph insanity almost 10yrs ago and I'm glad I got over it. The old Landerons are great but have getten to the point where they sometimes arent worth the cost of repair/general maintenance. In fact-I VERY rarely sell my vintage but I am consolidating a barter of 3 40s chrongraphs in exchange for servicing a few other vintage {including the one chronograph I will likely never sell and one I consider one of the best automatic chronographs ever made. Up there with ElPrimero , Seiko. Its my Omega 1040 SM. Its got the advantage of having a semi-unique dial layout (Lemania and Tissot have similar) But when regulated-it keeps such perfect +/-0 accuracy I am always amazed at its robustness. (at least it did up until my winding stem broke 2years ago and I've been wating to send it off)

Anyway- goodluck with your collection. And I have to say-your brave. But check out early 70s Seikos which can be had for a lot less then most Swiss.

Here are a few of mine for encouragement:

sherwoodschwartz and kazrich like this.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

thank you gentlemen!

i feel very comfortable that all three are perfectly original. the eterna, as mkws said, is fairly new, only a few years old. perhaps my photography is lacking, but the dial is immaculate.

the wyler is an unusual watch in that i beleive vetta assembled it. but after a bit of sleuthing i feel comfortable in its orginality as well.

the third is a brand called Olor- one of thousands of oddly named companies, i think, employing the landeron series. it is the most pedestrian but really the only watch i consider 'vintage'. i bought it because it was cheap, worked well, and i have a soft spot for worn yellow gold cases.
    bobbee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBaeker View Post
    I think I saw that exact Eterna for sale recently and saw the re-lume job.
    It's not re-lumed either... If anyone can be blamed for the lume in this watch looking like that, it's no one else than the Eterna company itself. Yeees, they could have used "vintage-looking" yellowish lume, as they did for the Heritage Military (reinterpretation of the design of the piece made for the Czechoslovakian military), and it would look much better, but I guess that this watch is good-looking enough not to complain about that.
    Heritage
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    Fairly horrid redial? Hartmut, the Eterna is perfectly original- it just isn't vintage. It's the Heritage Pulsometer 1942 Limited Edition, part of Eterna's Heritage collection. Unfortunately the date window- a plague among reissues of vintage watches- doesn't get along well with the design of this piece (that's just my opinion, of course), but it's still a good-looking watch.
    Well, I had taken that possibility into account when I wrote my first post - the reason I rejected it (I don't know the reissue model) is that the "ETERNA" is a little fuzzy and the lume on the hands is by no means the same colour as that on the dial. A definite design gaffe, as far as I am concerned.....

Hartmut Richter

Seeing as 80% of my collection are chronographs I ca agree.
    Vintage Chronographs and Divers are my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    It's not re-lumed either... If anyone can be blamed for the lume in this watch looking like that, it's no one else than the Eterna company itself. Yeees, they could have used "vintage-looking" yellowish lume, as they did for the Heritage Military (reinterpretation of the design of the piece made for the Czechoslovakian military), and it would look much better, but I guess that this watch is good-looking enough not to complain about that.
    Heritage
    point taken. In fact-I think when I saw this on the bay-I was searching specifically for vintage Kontiki's and this came up under 'vintage' . I opened the page and read that it was a fairly new re-issue and then I apparently forgot and assumed the same thing with Sherwoods thread here. So much for my stellar capacity for remembering small details. Maybe thats why I am moving away from chronographs. Less to remember ;)

Anyway-it is a nice looking Eterna and it is a little off-putting that the lume is so bright and modern while the rest of the dial looks so vintage. But I guess this is only an issue when the light is dim and the lume has been charged. Otherwise-its probably a fine looking watch in broad day-light and pitch dark ;)
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Here are a couple of OLOR ads, the chrono is from 1950, the colour ad is 1946.

I think your Olor may have replacement hands, as it looks to have lume dots/numerals. It and the others are beauties nevertheless, enjoy them and add more!

Thread Information