Chronographs are not stop watches

Thread: Chronographs are not stop watches

Chronographs are not stop watches

With the pleasant experience of acquiring an early uncommon commercial version of the 1932 Omega Olympic chronograph with split second timer pocketwatch I have learned that it is not, according to European collectors. For present day collectors and Omega it is a stopwatch. Thus the different serial sequences. Omega has a different serial number sequence for the stop watches. Up to 1952 for my Olympic they used watch numbers 12 million. My commercial version has the stopwatch number 1.7 million. Both have similar 36,000 bph rate but the Olympic has 600 graduation seconds scale; commercial has only 120. I notice the newest gold case ones have 300. Take a look at a significant stopwatch collection: http://vintagestopwatch.blogspot.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; April 20th, 2010 at 16:08. Reason: attempt to clarify.

Re: Chronographs are not stop watches

Got good comments about this stupid posting in Omega listing. There is some confusion with the definitions. But basically a stopwatch is only an elapsed timer. Chronograph is for the watch and timer combination. However, looking for info for 6 months calling the Olympic a chronograph
    watch got me little info. 3 European collectors of stop watches took just hours to confirm its uniqueness. I never used the term stopwatch for anything in the past. At age 79 still reluctantly learning.

I followed your posts on the Omega Olympic with interest!
    They indeed are very very nice, Thanks.
    I haven's seen them in real life except at the Omega museum at Omega...
    as for the stopwatch/chronograph I have a question:
    They look as if they also keep regular time.
    If the watch is reset and the regular time is also reset then it IS a stopwatch....
    If the normal time keeps running independand on the chrono functions it is a chronograph....

regards,
    RJ van Melle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for confirming my conclusion. These are chronographs as you say with the stopwatch function. Chronograph word means time recorder after all.

And you can only "record time" if you have the normal current time directly aviable!
    I like your defenition of chronograph: recording time!!!
    Very nice one, never thought of it that way!
    at age of 36 learning from 79 year fellow horologist.....
    Thanks!

regards,
    RJ van Melle

Final word from me (definitely not horologist): Lemania that designed, built and sold the Omega Olympics designates it a Chronograph.

The fine blog by stephano Savoni has been improved. Includes the old Lemania catalog page here and much more about timers. New name:
    http://pocketstopwatch.blogspot.com Near end hit: (post piu vecchi) to see 2 more pages.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; June 26th, 2010 at 13:05.

Got good comments about this stupid posting in Omega listing.
    Which posting in which Omega listing?

There is some confusion with the definitions. But basically a stopwatch is only an elapsed timer. Chronograph is for the watch and timer combination. However, looking for info for 6 months calling the Olympic a chronograph
    watch got me little info. 3 European collectors of stop watches took just hours to confirm its uniqueness. I never used the term stopwatch for anything in the past. At age 79 still reluctantly learning.
    As I understand it, the chronograph continues tracking the current time while also tracking elapsed time for an event. The stopwatch simply tracks the elapsed time for an event. You have a very nice Omega.

John MS: Same posting in watchuseek, Omega Forum.

According to majority opinion you are right.

Thread Information