• 5 Post By mkws
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter
  • 1 Post By mikebaetelu
  • 1 Post By AbslomRob
  • 2 Post By mkws
  • 1 Post By AbslomRob

Thread: Chronometre Ancre Vintage military wristwatch

Chronometre Ancre Vintage military wristwatch

From the series of vintage watches. A walk through the flea market and found this watch that I found quite interesting, since it has gold-plated casing 20 M and a hallmark . Diametre of this watch is 35 mm . It is a military wristwatch ?
    Can you help me identify this watch?
    Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Chronometre Ancre Vintage military wristwatch

Nice find! RW with an anchor stands for Rodi & Wienenberger, registered in Pforzheim in 1935 (according to Mikrolisk). I can't identify the movement, though. No, it's not military- gold plated military watches? Nope. Looks like a bauhaus-style design- minimalistic dial, simple stick hands. Fixed lug bars, though a standard in military watches, do not constitute just ANY watch as military. Neither does a black dial- just now, any old watch with a black dial is advertised by eBay sellers as "military"- though they're just as military as the "peace symbol".
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Not an exact match but the Unitas 148 is reasonably close. Some differences in the details, though (shape of balance cock & lever cock, etc.). Maybe this is a Cal. 146 and this calibre differs slightly or perhaps the end user changed some details.....?!

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...swk&Unitas_148

Hartmut Richter
    busmatt likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's the best match . About the cal 146 can't find anything .About the year of manufacture may conclude that it was between 1930 -1940 ?
    Thank you Hartmut Richter.
    busmatt likes this.

I'd say post-40's myself. Unitas model numbers can be confusing, 'cause they seemed to give new model numbers to largely identical movements based on having slightly different parts (presumably to make it easier to determine which replacement parts to ship to dealers for repairs).
    busmatt likes this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

I'd say it might have been made somewhere between 1935 and mid-1940s. Why? Fixed lug bars. I have seen this solution being used in 1930s watches, but as far as I know, mid- to late-1940s watches would already have spring bars. I guess a gold-plated case and fixed lug bars combo looks more 1930s then. To me, at least.
    busmatt and mikebaetelu like this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

What do you think about this watch. It can be considered one collection? Restoration of housing would be recommended?
    Thanks for all's Information
    Last edited by mikebaetelu; February 11th, 2015 at 20:15.

I think it's a really nice Bauhaus-style watch, and a fine addition to a collection. Whether it indeed is a chronometre, I don't know. I suppose it might once have been one. I don't think it needs to be overhauled- dial seems to be in a pretty good shape. I don't know how about the crystal- the first pic doesn't show the condition of it too well... If scratched only- some Polywatch should do. Standard movement maintenance should be done, of course. The crown looks worn, but then again, if it's comfortable to use, it's not a necessity to change it.
    The strap might be a problem- you'll probably need to look for a single-piece non-NATO or an open-ended strap, but whether a gold-plated watch gets along well with a NATO is a matter of personal preferences, really.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

It's not a "Chronometer" as is understood today. Chronometre is just a word that translates loosely to "Time Measurement", but it has a bit of a "cachet" to it due to the history of the marine chronometer and the "observatory" chronometer certificates.
    mikebaetelu likes this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com