Cimier dollar watch .... maybe a discussion?

Thread: Cimier dollar watch .... maybe a discussion?

Cimier dollar watch .... maybe a discussion?

I just got this sweet Cimier 1 jeweled watch. I got it at a reasonable price because all its chrome finish is gone and the lovely brass is now the finish. I happen to like this, and wish there were brass watches. Im not into buying or wearing gold at the moment. I will add more pics later. It is powered by a Lapanouse 1 jeweled movement and is keeping excellent if not almost perfect time. These colorful watches dollar watches seem to be small fortune on the bay. Is it because they were just thrown away and are scarce? Im sort of hoping a little discussion of these watches might be prompted by my post. As it is, Im hoping to build a small collection of colorful military dial of any type. They really are evocative of an other era. That said..........Take it easy folks, hoping to hear your thoughts on these types of watches......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by parrotandpitbull; January 11th, 2011 at 19:27.

Re: Cimier dollar watch .... maybe a discussion?

That second hand almost looks like it should be a date pointer hand, but that's just me.
    I also agree with you that the brass finish is a nice touch.
    I've got more Converse sneakers than watches, but it is a close race.

I have a couple of these lapaneuse 'chronostop' watches-one in alumina and the other in gold. They also run surprisingly well for 1jewels. I bought them because I collected Omega chronostops and thought it was interesting the name was used first in the Sheffield. The chronograph function is crude: simply start and stop, no return of second hand. But its accurate. I found this one last xmas time listed as a 'chronograph' and 'not working' (it was fine) for $23. The gold tone has a dtae function which I find pretty unusual for these chronos to have. I'll see if I can post pics of the g.p. which may be a Cimier too.

[Im not sure why op's example has the same style hands but don't seem to match the type of dial? On mine you can see that the minute hand touches the chapter ring while the red second sweeps the red tach. ]
    Last edited by DaBaeker; January 11th, 2011 at 20:26.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by parrotandpitbull View Post
    I just got this sweet Cimier 1 jeweled watch. I got it at a reasonable price because all its chrome finish is gone and the lovely brass is now the finish. I happen to like this, and wish there were brass watches. Im not into buying or wearing gold at the moment. I will add more pics later. It is powered by a Lapanouse 1 jeweled movement and is keeping excellent if not almost perfect time. These colorful watches dollar watches seem to be small fortune on the bay. Is it because they were just thrown away and are scarce? Im sort of hoping a little discussion of these watches might be prompted by my post. As it is, Im hoping to build a small collection of colorful military dial of any type. They really are evocative of an other era. That said..........Take it easy folks, hoping to hear your thoughts on these types of watches......
    The case is so similar to the early Newmark cases made in England, that I can't help wondering if your Cimier was actually cased up in the UK.

Here's my 1950 Guildhall, made by Newmark, for comparison:

Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

A rather similar Aircraft.

Name:  Aircraft 1.JPG
Views: 2643
Size:  159.9 KB
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Ok, helping to keep this thread alive by posting a recent purchase.
    A very good looking tachograph but of a rather low grade. I just got it in order to refine my horological skills(my father is a watchmaker).I've already disassembled the movement and realized the dial is plastic!! Now, about the case, chascomm, can you tell a litle bit more about this early Newmark cases made in England? Mine is of the same kind isn't it? I supose the movement is also lapaneuse...
    Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Attention!!
    Non english speaker.

Thread Information