citizen automatic

Thread: citizen automatic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

citizen automatic

hi - firstly my apologies if i have posted this in the wrong forum - i have a watch that my father bought back in 1975 - sentimental value.
    the watch is is pretty rough state and i am hoping i can get some advice as to how and where i can get it restored.

its a citizen automatic 21 jewels - as you can see from the pics the outer casing is quite worn and faded and the perspex glass is cracked in the top left corner of the face. i suspect it may also have no water resistance.

the watch has been to citizen so they could try and source some parts - unsuccessfully as its long discontinued - but they did very kindly service it free for me - nice guys

if anyone could point me in the right direction to a get this restored? i am in the UK

pics attached - many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Re: citizen automatic

tomshep ( who frequents this forum ) is your man!

Great pic of your Dad's watch...definitely reflects the 70's...good luck with the restoration.....I definitely understand and appreciate why you would want to 'tidy' the watch up,however,in my humble opinion it looks quite good,if the picture is recent and the watch has been serviced...once again good luck

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hctaw View Post
    Great pic of your Dad's watch...definitely reflects the 70's...good luck with the restoration.....I definitely understand and appreciate why you would want to 'tidy' the watch up,however,in my humble opinion it looks quite good,if the picture is recent and the watch has been serviced...once again good luck

thanks for the comments - the watch came back today from citizen - was really impressed with their customer services! and the pics were taken today... they dont really show how much damage is on there (not a good camera) the gold casing is badly scratched and starting to fade in parts - same with black / brown inner face casing.

- i'm not even sure what a restoration could actually do but am hoping to get the watch to a condition where i can give it back to my dad as a sentimental type of present on his birthday that he can wear daily. (he bought it on the day i was born!)

will drop a PM to tomshep and see what he says!"

thanks
    aks
    Last edited by aksnc30; June 15th, 2010 at 22:09.

Southampton UK as prisoner of work but home is a village in La Mayenne.

As far as I can see, the only real problem is going to be the crystal. Citizen cannot provide one and this one is cracked. I would suggest that it would be difficult to make it as new but I would try a repair which would at least make it watertight even if it were still possible to see the crack. The rest is pretty routine. It is, of course possible to make a mould and form a new crystal but tooling that and making a satisfactory job of it might well make the project economically unviable.

Quite a sentimental piece you have there~Cheers!

Am still looking for someone to carry out the work on this watch but have been given some sound advice on what is required - if anyone can recommend somewhere i can send the watch off to get sorted it would be appreciated.

The case is probably epoxy powder coated and the gold plate is applied to a masked off area.
    Match the colour and send it off for coating, polish the back, fit an O ring and replate the case using nickel under gold.

cheers
    aks

any advice on who can sort this watch out would be appreciated

cheers
    aks

The only company I know of who do one off crystals is:

http://www.gssupplies.com/custom_watch.html

in the US.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

oddly the crystal is not the problem

its the recoating and plating of the casing that i am finding tricky to sort out
    if anyone can help with - that would be great

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information