Cleaning dial of vintage Omega Geneve
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Cleaning dial of vintage Omega Geneve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cleaning dial of vintage Omega Geneve

Hi, first I'd like to say that I do know that cleaning a watch dial is delicate thing and in many cases it should be left to professionals.

That said I purchased this late 1960's Geneve for my brother. It's from his birth year and I'm planning to give it to him as a gift when he is turning 50 in the near future.

Watch is seviced, clean and really nice Omega with superb 601 movement but as you can see there are few stains or scrubs on dial.

I really would love to get rid of those black "stripes" between 3 and 6 before I pass it on so what do you think? Those doesn't seem to be really deep or fatal but can they be removed carefully with babyoil or some other method?

Thanks again, all input is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Cleaning dial of vintage Omega Geneve

Please don't use baby oil on this, you'll regret it.

Dial cleaning is complicated – as you suggested – and under the circumstances you describe, I would leave it alone. If you want to research further, use the search facility here and you will discover a couple of long threads about dial cleaning.

But looking at the marks on the dial, no compelling logic suggests what would have made them (ie hands scraping dial, that sort of obvious thing) and the spots that appear around the dial are not typical of age-related patina; for all these reasons, I'd leave well enough alone. I suspect that some watch repair mishandling has damaged the dial's surface physically and I can only imagine that baby oil, spit and other folk remedies will make it worse.

The only "safe" thing I could think of is Rodico and even then be careful not to go over the printed minute markers or Genève/Omega printing, as you can lift them off the dial. Believe me, you can.
    Last edited by Habitant; March 13th, 2017 at 01:43.
    Kaappikello likes this.

Agreed, if it is a stain, baby oil or soap won't remove it. And if it is a scuff mark, that can't be undone.

All told, the dial looks pretty good for its age. If we could all say the same about ourselves...
    Last edited by Paul_S; March 16th, 2017 at 15:26.
    Kaappikello likes this.
    There is something more to the art of watchmaking and repairing than that of merely assembling a watch and making it 'tick.'
    ---Walter Kleinlein, Rules and Practice for Adjusting Watches (1940)

Member, National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors

My blog about precision timing: AdjustingVintageWatches.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'd suggest leaving it as is.
    Kaappikello likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Allright, no babyoil or such. Thanks for warnings! And maybe nothing, but I do feel tempted to try at least Rodico...
    It is a nice watch as it is but it would be so much more without those.
    Thanks everybody, I'll have to give this a thought.

Just buy a nicer example, these Geneves come in buckets all over the place :)
    DaBaeker likes this.
    Chaos is my focus

Hello. Rodico tends to 'polish' this type of dial: not only will the scruff NOT be removed, but there will be a very noticeable, shiny area, around it=not nice!

I've long been a bit surprised that someone hasn't started a Business dealing with dial 'restoration' of original dials...many problems look not all that difficult to remedy, using specialized techniques--perhaps similar to those used in Museum conservation--in other words: with this Omega, the scruff could be rendered essentially invisible, where one to match the color of the surrounding area, and apply the 'restoration media' using a very fine ( brush? ), under a microscope. I've looked at many ww dials with my 28x B&L loupe ( two elements, 4x plus 7x, may be used singularly or in combination ), and I've seen many types of damage that certainly seem as if they could be addressed.
    Kaappikello likes this.

There are a few places that do dial restoration. I haven't tried any, but these guys get good recommendations from other WUS users:
    Kirk Rich Dial Corporation: Watch Dial Restoration

If you google watch dial restoration, there are others as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxIcon View Post
    There are a few places that do dial restoration. I haven't tried any, but these guys get good recommendations from other WUS users:
    Kirk Rich Dial Corporation: Watch Dial Restoration

If you google watch dial restoration, there are others as well.
    I don't think the OP's question was about redialing, which is not the same as dial cleaning. Not to mention, that the watch has a really nice dial, repainting which would be absolutely barbaric.

I've heard of that redial company before, and unfortunately I have also seen some of their lousy handiwork. On their website, the pictures with what's supposedly samples of their work can't even be enlarged- and call me paranoid, but I do believe that there is a reason for why one can't get a good glimpse of the quality of their work... One Omega that I have seen, and which I know to have been redialed by them, was such a reason. Even in these small, low-res pics on their site, it's not that hard to notice paint creeping up the hour markers, which means that they don't bother to take them off before repainting.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thank you all for your input! I thought about it and decided that it's fine as it is. I just changed a nicer band for it.

I think it will be just fine like this but you're welcome to qive your opinions.

-J-
    Attached Images Attached Images

TJ Boogie likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information