clebar chono - valjoux 72

Thread: clebar chono - valjoux 72

clebar chono - valjoux 72

posted this in watchmaking also, hoping for help here also.

thanks.

Okay, I have a chrono. FINALLY. Well, just to tear down and clean up. We're not worried about regulating it. I don't have the equipment, and it's just not important to the customer as he'll never wear it. But this is a freebee job. So that doesn't even matter. BUT, I won't be fooling with the regulator anyway. Where it's at will have to be good enough.
    It's just very dirty and needs to be cleaned up. When he handed it to me, I gave it a gentle twist and it started right up. The chrono is still engaged and a bit of rust is preventing me from stopping and resetting it. I also have NO access to the click, so I can't let the power down. I just hope nothing is getting ruined in there.

So the watch belonged to my buddy's dad. He bought it brand new... whenever. Late 40s or 50s sometime. It was in a dresser at his airplane hangar (yeah, i know!) and he just sold the hangar (it's around Dallas, TX somewhere). So my friend went down there to clean it all out and his dad told him to do whatever he wanted with all this stuff. So he brings me a bag of watches. A 1991 bulova quartz railroad watch, a 1966 accutron, 2 swatches from the 80s (bluh), a big CK chrono watch, a cheap-o 'spirit of st.louis' special edition commemorative watch (probably from a museum gift shop), and a fake *olex. Yeah. So mostly just batteries are getting these fixed, but the chrono will actually be work. And I'm really excited about it. It'll be a great learning opportunity for me.

What I need is a tear-down schematic, similar to what Lysander does, but a bit more detailed. I want to know which piece to take out first, but be sure to watch out for this spring here b/c it'll fly , and once you've done that, you'll think the next logical step would be to do this, but really you need to do THIS, and if you do it this way, it's way easier than if you do it THIS way.

I know I'll be able to do it, but having never done one before, I just want to be able to get a decent heads up and know what to expect before I create a problem for myself.

The movement will be no problem, but just the chrono bits.

Do I need any extra or special tools to pull the chrono wheels? I've seen chrono wheel pullers before: one for 5 spoke, one for 6 spoke. Do I NEED those? Or can I make do with a different method/tool?

So, any info like that would be VERY appreciated. I don't plan on getting to this at least for a few weeks. I want to read as much as I can and be sure I have any extra tools I might need at hand before I get started.

Pics. Thanks a lot guys.

Alpha Skeleton Multifunction, Alpha PO, Casio Edifice Chrono EF503, G-Shock Mudman Camo, Timex Ironman

Re: clebar chono - valjoux 72

I'm jealous...my first "chrono" was a Lapanouse 147 (pin lever chrono-stop). I really need a better class of friends.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

ha! i wish i had a bit more experience going into this. i might end up trying to find some cheap ones to practice on so i know what to do. this is a really nice movement and i'd hate to mess anything up.

Alpha Skeleton Multifunction, Alpha PO, Casio Edifice Chrono EF503, G-Shock Mudman Camo, Timex Ironman

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

"Cheap Chronograph" tends to be a contradiction in terms...anything comparable is going to cost you, anything that doesnt' cost you probably won't give you much in the way of useful experience. Me, I'd just take it slow and easy, and take a high-quality macro picture after undoing every screw, and removing every piece.

good points.

wondering about the chrono wheel pullers. i've seen that you need a special tool for those. couldn't i use my hand puller?

what if i modified it by grinding the sides of the puller to be narrower to fit between the spokes of the wheels?

i'm thinkin about just doing that and going for it.

thanks.

Sweet! That pages makes reference to De Carle's "Complicated Watches and their Repair", which is a sentiment I've heard numerous times from numerous people; probably worth getting at this point.

Banned

I imagine that won't be an easy movement on which to learn the craft. But if you can work it out...

Best of luck mate!

Thread Information