Clos Dunods another brand of George Favre Jacot
Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By SilkeN
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter
  • 1 Post By eri231

Thread: Clos Dunods another brand of George Favre Jacot

Clos Dunods another brand of George Favre Jacot

This weekend was wonderful: I could relax and spend some time for my hobby and get a "new" watch. I guess my Clos Dunods collection is now complete if the work on the watches is done. Here are my three examples: A lepine , a half - hunter and nearly a hunter if I can find a matching winder/crown:

Name:  clostrio.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  98.6 KB

If you're surprised about the Jules jürgensen style movement in a GFJ watch than you're not alone . This trademark seems to have these style fashion in all watches I've seen until now
    Name:  clostrowerke.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  109.5 KB

As you see on this advertise from 1889 its definetly a trademark of GFJ:

Name:  Georges favre Jacot.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  150.7 KB

(Off topic: Funny, Zenith is missing here)

If you investigate the movement the balance part and the escapement are quite typical for a GFJ watch out of this aera while the winding system, sprial fixing and the wheels are very unusual:

Name:  closdunodswerk.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  113.5 KB
    Name:  closdunodszifferblattseite.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  101.5 KB

Here from the lepine but in these details they are all identical. In my eyes this brand is made in the Jules Jürgensen Style because of a fashion and raw movements from somewhere else were used. For people who are not aware of a ebouche in this aera here are a list from FHF and his raw movements:

Name:  FHFRohwerke.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  125.6 KB

All raw movemnts was usually sold without balance and escapement if you don't order a complete movement or something in between. Raw movements have a long tradition and their roods around 1650 anywhere in england. They relieved the watchmakers to do his fine work and it wasn't frowned upon if a movement is not complete "manufacture".

Other opinions I like to read. I think Clos Dunods are made in a short aera in the middle of the 1880 at least 10 years. They all seem to include Jules Jürgensen Style calibres and are foreign raw movements with in house balance and escapement parts.

Movements and cases have matching numbers and both where marked with Clos Dunods:
    Name:  SAM_3948.JPG
Views: 159
Size:  85.2 KB

Kind regards Silke
    Last edited by SilkeN; February 2nd, 2015 at 22:30. Reason: add clos dunods mark
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Clos Dunods another brand of George Favre Jacot

Wonderful post with great info! I don't really find it intriguing that Zenith is missing - the brand wasn't created until 1897. What I find more intriguing is that one of the brands is "Pilote". It is said (and I have no concrete evidence) that Zenith have a copyright on the use of "Pilot" on the dial of their watches (i.e. even if another brand makes a typical Pilot watch, e.g. IWC Mk IX, X, etc., they aren't allowed to write "Pilot" on the dial). If that really is true, could it be due to "Pilote" being a registered brand by Zenith?!

Hartmut Richter
    Last edited by Hartmut Richter; February 3rd, 2015 at 21:21. Reason: Typo!
    busmatt likes this.

Depending on this advertising its a "mark of the fabrique". I'm not sure if these are all watch brands. Until now I just find of course Diogene, Billodes and these Clos Dunods. The exact Margarite symbol I've only found once (and sell) in a broken smal ladys pocketwatchcase with a mother of pearl back and a common GFJ movement around 1900. The snowmoblie is typically found on the duscovers for the east europe and russian market like the funny GFJ swiss ship for america. May be the other marks are just hidden registred signs, other nonwatch products or parts or just reseved. I always look and ask other collectors about them since quite a long while but still I don't find the most marks.

Kind regards Silke
    Last edited by SilkeN; February 2nd, 2015 at 22:49.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

it is known as caliber Jurgensen but was a common Ebauches built by Aubert Freres, Piguet Freres, and Louis-Ami Capt
    regards enrico
    SilkeN likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

@Silke: don't forget "Defi" (maybe the brand that led to the "Defy" model range that started in the late sixties?!)

I wonder whether Jules Jurgensen ever made any of their own movements at all. From what I can see, they had them supplied by others according to their specifications or they applied their own bridge style to externally sourced calibres. If the first option applies and if GFJ made movements for JJ, who would have prevented him from using some of these himself (unless clauses in the contract forbade it)?

Yes, a load of maybes but it's a thought at least.

Hartmut RIchter

I get now the information, that these movement style was devolped by Louis-Benjamin Audemars 1833 who did a commissioned work for Jules Juergensen. The customers loved this open style because the wheels have been more masked in the earlier constructions. The stability was still the same, the maher spares material and the watch was a bid lighter. Jules Jürgensen has picked up the style and make it popular. Other makers follows as enrico mentioned. Therefore you aren't so wrong the Jules Jürgensen style has another inventor .

Defi ..I guess we think to modern. On the first ine it was a caliber and in watches with this caliber you sometimes find the defi logo on the inner side of the casecover. May be I've just not seen it but I guess you didn't find defi written on a dial. These watches are in a typical style GFJ used in general during that aera and don't have a special fashion like the wonderful wriswatches out of the 60/70 ties.

attachment: Defi movement and a as a addition a Defi decoratet with glas beats (no function) for the russia maket and the Logo in a gunmetal cover out of a GFJ with this movement
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by SilkeN; February 4th, 2015 at 19:36.

Thread Information