Columbus Watch Co. (Ohio) No 12871
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By pmwas
  • 1 Post By journeyforce

Thread: Columbus Watch Co. (Ohio) No 12871

Columbus Watch Co. (Ohio) No 12871

After a short break I came by an American movement again. Not 100% American, though, but Swiss-American early Columbus...

Name:  3BE3B04A-4BE3-4BCC-B81D-7D9732A83C27.jpeg
Views: 23
Size:  333.7 KB

It is a nice movement, pretty well finished. I donít know yet if the dial side is jewelled (and how), so all I know is I have an 18s 11-15j adjusted Columbus, with some high grade details, like gold plated cap jewel disc on the balance cock, gold plated balance screws and gold plated escape wheel.

Name:  DC34F8FE-7ADE-48BC-9B34-7F879A5BDD9F.jpeg
Views: 22
Size:  212.4 KB

Also has the super cool precision regulator.

It does not have hands, however. And the dial is a bit loose and rattles (also needs regluing the subdial and has a crack by the setting lever).

Name:  08D146B1-57DB-49B3-9C37-7AB6BB5914A1.jpeg
Views: 21
Size:  186.7 KB

I recased it in a random 18s base metal case. It is an unhappy case - I tend to case some movements in it, and remove them whenever I find a better case. Itís just too good to throw away and too poor to use for good, so maybe this time Iíll just keep it this way and make this poor case feel loved once again ;)

Anyway - in a short time Iíll try to service this movement. It ticks a bit, but when you swing the balance better, to a high amplitude, it makes this nasty knocking sound and itís not overbanking.
    I think the balance might be hitting the pallet bridge, Iíll see :)
    Last edited by pmwas; 1 Week Ago at 01:17.
    Have a great day!!!

Re: Columbus Watch Co. (Ohio) No 12871

Quote Originally Posted by pmwas View Post
    After a short break I came by an American movement again. Not 100% American, though, but Swiss-American early Columbus...

Name:  3BE3B04A-4BE3-4BCC-B81D-7D9732A83C27.jpeg
Views: 23
Size:  333.7 KB

It is a nice movement, pretty well finished. I donít know yet if the dial side is jewelled (and how), so all I know is I have an 18s 11-15j adjusted Columbus, with some high grade details, like gold plated cap jewel disc on the balance cock, gold plated balance screws and gold plated escape wheel.

Name:  DC34F8FE-7ADE-48BC-9B34-7F879A5BDD9F.jpeg
Views: 22
Size:  212.4 KB

Also has the super cool precision regulator.

It does not have hands, however. And the dial is a bit loose and rattles (also needs regluing the subdial and has a crack by the setting lever).

Name:  08D146B1-57DB-49B3-9C37-7AB6BB5914A1.jpeg
Views: 21
Size:  186.7 KB

I recased it in a random 18s base metal case. It is an unhappy case - I tend to case some movements in it, and remove them whenever I find a better case. Itís just too good to throw away and too poor to use for good, so maybe this time Iíll just keep it this way and make this poor case feel loved once again ;)

Anyway - in a short time Iíll try to service this movement. It ticks a bit, but when you swing the balance better, to a high amplitude, it makes this nasty knocking sound and itís not overbanking.
    I think the balance might be hitting the pallet bridge, Iíll see :)

Ah the Columbus watch company. i had a Columbus pocket watch and a later South Bend watch (a few years after Columbus became South Bend)

They are nice watches
    Attached Images Attached Images

SunnyOrange likes this.