Company called Anew watches?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By eldridge
  • 1 Post By DragonDan

Thread: Company called Anew watches?

Company called Anew watches?

Hi

Just wondered If anyone has any info regarding a watch company called Anew or of this watch please? Just won this on eBay yesterday but the seller gave very little information apart from its 35mm diameter and military which I have doubts as the lugs seem to look too weak for wartime activities?,but I did get it very cheap. I will open it up to look for markings on the movement when it arrives.Have tried a Google search,but with words like Anew and watch in the search,all I get shown are new watches! Many thanks.Lee
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by eldridge; December 11th, 2013 at 13:22.

Re: Company called Anew watches?

Ebay sellers latch onto popular "search" terms in order to increase the volume of people seeing their product (and hopefully bidding). "Military" is a popular one. Most of them use the term in the context of "military themed", which is still BS, but whatever. A lot of that stems from the bizarre attitude that younger people these days have about what the "military" was actually like fifty or sixty years ago, so there's the problem right there.

At first glance, I'd date that that one as post WWII; probably mid 50's? Are those numbers done in Lume? If so, it's odd (to the point of non-credible) that the colour would be so different from the hands. The hands look like Radium lume, which is potentialy dangerous to your watchmaker.

As for "Anew", that shows up as the registered trademark of "Anew SA", registered in 1945 in Biel, Switzerland. We'd need to see the movement to tell you much more about, but there's not really a lot more to tell. After WWII, there was a veritable explosion of small swiss companies making and selling watches in all shapes sizes and colors to the throngs of civilians that had been on wartime austerity measures for most of a decade. Things like movements were pretty generic, and the small individual companies produced small runs of different styles of cases, dials and hands to appeal to whatever niche market they'd choosen to focus on. Thanks to that (and fifty+ years of attrition), there are lots and lots of "unique" pieces out there from companies that may have only existed for a while, and which are subtly unlike anything else whilst simultaneously being exactly like everything else from the era.

As with any mechanical device, it needs to be serviced if you want it to run well or for long; watches rely on lubrication to prevent the metal parts from wearing themselves out, and since they're very very precise, they're also very very sensitive to dust and small particles. Running a mechanical watch without servicing for any length of time will result in a non-functional watch. And yes, it'll cost in the vicinity of $100 to have a watch like this serviced properly, which is way way more then you likely spent to get it, but also way way less then what you'd pay for a new mechanical watch of equivalent quality.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Personally I'd put it late Forties with those hands not Fifties. It's a large case on a smaller calibre which was popular at that time, just as it is now.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Many thanks for your information and advice.I did notice the radium hands. I will be servicing this one myself while wearing a mask!, I'm a British Horological Institute student.I know from other radium watches I've worked on,both hands and numbers share that brownish sand texture.But as you rightly point out,the numbers do look different......but looking at the pictures again I can see on the minute hand a greenish colour that's similar to the numbers.one of the exciting parts of buying an unknown watch like this on ebay is to find out what movement has been used!
    Last edited by eldridge; December 11th, 2013 at 14:36.

Quote Originally Posted by eldridge View Post
    Many thanks for your information and advice.I did notice the radium hands. I will be servicing this one myself while wearing a mask!, I'm a British Horological Institute student.I know from other radium watches I've worked on,both hands and numbers share that brownish sand texture.But as you rightly point out,the numbers do look different......but looking at the pictures again I can see on the minute hand a greenish colour that's similar to the numbers.one of the exciting parts of buying an unknown watch like this on ebay is to find out what movement has been used!
    Hi and welcome and GONGRATS on being a BHI student - good for you.
    Are these the sellers pictures?
    If so are there more
    To me and even that basic photo Dial is relumed, green colour is not correct.
    Post more pics
    Good Luck at the school
    a
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Thanks Adam, I agree with what you say regarding the lume.The first place I will check is the subdial as trying to re-apply lume to curved thin lines would be difficult to achieve without making it look untidy and I think maybe the seconds hand is missing? Apart from being cheap, I bought it as I quite like the shape of the lugs and the curves of the case and opening up a watch from a little known maker to check what type movement that's been used is like a little Christmas morning! Here's some more pictures that the seller provided and thanks again.Lee

Last edited by eldridge; December 12th, 2013 at 18:34.

Its cool
    Yes seconds hand is missing, but hands look original.
    Good buy
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

I received the Anew watch the other day and found that the crystal has yellowed. Did some research and found that this yellowing is due to the celluloid that this crystal is made from deteriorating over time. More worryingly this also produces a corrosive gas within the case that attacks steel, which may explain some of the corrosion found on the hands and the surface of the steel dial, But not sure if this information is 100% true?The movement is a very plain Felsa 294 with no other markings.The seconds hand was there after all!

Last edited by eldridge; December 17th, 2013 at 14:21.
    DragonDan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    Personally I'd put it late Forties with those hands not Fifties. It's a large case on a smaller calibre which was popular at that time, just as it is now.
    You mean like this?
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/how-...se-933349.html
    Mirius likes this.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Thread Information