converted omega pw to wristwatch>?

Thread: converted omega pw to wristwatch>?

converted omega pw to wristwatch>?

Hi the guys over at the Omega forum sent me here for answers,
    I have an old omega PW movement in a wristwatch,
    thanks, I believe this was a pocket watch at the beginning, converted to the wrist watch case in the 20s-30s
    in
    Merger

Louis-Paul and César Brandt both died in 1903, leaving one of Switzerland's largest watch companies — with 240,000 watches produced annually and employing 800 people — in the hands of four young people, the oldest of whom, Paul-Emile Brandt, was not yet 24.
    Brandt was the great architect and builder of Omega.
    [... the omega branding came later.
    but its the cal that stumps me!
    just gotta know!

9 Hours Ago #2
    JimInOz

Member Join DateJun 2011LocationMelbourne (Oz, not Florida)Posts471

Re: Help with old omega movement cal please pre omega?

Maybe try over on the Vintage/Pocket Watch forum.

The may not be as dismissiv....er...I mean they may be more helpful.

THANK YOU!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: converted omega pw to wristwatch>?

If the size of the watch is "normal", i.e. a maximum of ca. 35mm, I would say that it was intended to be like that. If it is huge, it would have been converted at some stage. On the whole, it looks genuine - the case looks like it's 1920-30s style and it is definitely not an original PW case just with lugs soldered on, like in many of these conversions.

Hartmut Richter

I have some reservations about the movement; the click, serial engraving, crown/winding gear screw and balance cock design all deviate from what I would expect from Omega in the 1920's. If nothing else (especially given the damasking), I'd think it was a "jobber" watch destined for an American private label. However, that doesn't mesh with the "Omega" signed dial. But that said, grade A Omegas aren't all that common; that was the lowest quality movement they produced, and they had a tendency to get thrown out when they stopped working.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    I have some reservations about the movement; the click, serial engraving, crown/winding gear screw and balance cock design all deviate from what I would expect from Omega in the 1920's. If nothing else (especially given the damasking), I'd think it was a "jobber" watch destined for an American private label. However, that doesn't mesh with the "Omega" signed dial. But that said, grade A Omegas aren't all that common; that was the lowest quality movement they produced, and they had a tendency to get thrown out when they stopped working.
    I believe the movement is from 1902 not 1920?

If you're going by the "serial" maybe, but as I said, that doesn't look like an Omega engraving; you might want to get someone to have a look under the dial to see if there's another serial there. If it is 1902, that makes the dial a bit anachronistic though; the company wasn't renamed "Omega" until later. The plate layout is definitely in the style of the Omega 19. As Harmut mentioned, the case is from closer to the 30's, so it could have given a replacement dial when it got converted.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Something is fishy about this movement. Looking under the dial would definitely help.

And by the way, plates do look correct, and the balance cock recess is correct for early calibre Omega. I wonder if the plates were engraved and replated at a later time.

Thread Information