WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Cornavin - Moscow Olympics

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Marrick 
#1 ·
This came today, from the Netherlands. It is a Cornavin with a Zim 2602 15J movement and with the Moscow Olympics dial from 1980.

There is some discussion re Cornavin in the Russian forum e.g., https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/petrodvoretz-2409-movement-412645.html and https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/cornavin-russian-watch-171339.html

Chascomm thinks the Olympic dials may be dodgy. But I only paid $2.25 (that's £1.37) and even with $10 postage its cheap. And it works and has a nice Italian leather strap. :-d

See less See more
#2 ·
Thats a good chunk of watch for the money!

If the dial is dodge... It looks the part at least and suits the watch.

Nice pick up

#4 ·
Well it finished at 1.16 am - so most European buyers (including me) would have been in bed. (I prefer 'shrewd' to cheapskate BTW).:-d

And according to History of the Olympics - 1984 Olympic Games in Los Angeles 'official' Olympic products were first introduced for the 1984 Olympics. So maybe anyone could market items featuring the Olympic logo in 1980.:think:

#5 ·
Strange. I own an Omega Chrono Quartz that was made for the Montreal Olympics.

That Cornavin, it has no anti shock system??

#8 ·
Thank you. It was a Swiss brand - but started using Russian movements. This is what Chascomm wrote here: https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/cornavin-russian-watch-171339.html

The Cornavin company was founded in Geneva, Switzerland back in the 1920s. They made a wide variety of watches of various grades. In the 1970s, they started outsourcing; movements from Russia, dials from Taiwan, cases and assembly in Hong Kong etc, etc. By the end of that decade they were sourcing complete watches from the Soviet Union, mostly from the Petrodvorets Watch Factory (makers of Raketa). Your watch is an example of this, and apart from the dial markings is identical to Raketa-branded watches. Many Cornavin-Raketas seem to have been sold within the USSR, although they were obviously intended as an export product.

#11 ·
Marrick,

If anything, this ZIM-built Pobeda movement is a fair bit older than the rest of the watch; during the Moscow Olympic period, ZIM would have stopped putting Geneva stripes on the movement, and used extensively automated manufacture, ending up with what a French writer called "une version plus récente du calibre Pobeda à la finition beaucoup plus sommaire"

As far as I know, ZIM never incorporated shockproofing in their Pobeda-type movements (with sub-dial second at six).

#12 ·
I suppose that its possible that it was decided to use up old stock movements for these souvenir pieces.:think:

#14 ·
Interesting - thanks for the link. You are probably right. But its a pretty dial notwithstanding the iffy printing - and I'm happy with the price I paid.:-d

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.