Correct Omega mainspring 283 calibre

Thread: Correct Omega mainspring 283 calibre

Correct Omega mainspring 283 calibre

This could have gone in the watchmaking forum, but I think it's equally appropriate here. I have an Omega 283 which I just serviced and is running fabulously. I replaced the mainspring because it was set. Bestfit claims the correct White Alloy spring is the 68-N which is 1.5 x .14 x 13.5. Ranfft archives lists a spring with .125 and cousins lists a spring with .135 strength.

The reason I ask is because the ticking is loud and driving me nuts. This indicates to me the spring may be too strong. The watch is gaining only 1-2 seconds/day, but I don't have my timing machine so can't measure amplitude. I'm guessing it's a little over 300 and it's not knocking. I use the 68-N in the 30T2, but it has a lower jewel count so I'm guessing it needs a stronger spring. The 283 is a common caliber; maybe someone can tell me what spring they have had the best experience with or know what is correct. I don't have the original manufacturer sources for this. Thanks a bunch.
    Last edited by jcoffin1981; October 15th, 2014 at 16:59.

Re: Correct Omega mainspring 283 calibre

My books lists 1.5 height .14 strength 360 long.

Shoot, I should have measured the old one. Maybe I'll sell the watch. All I can hear all day is "tick, tick, tick, tick, tick..." It's considerably louder than previously.

That is slightly longer than mine, but the strength is the same.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I dont think the loudness is due to mainspring, older watches were generally loud.

CousinsUK says 1.50 x .135 x 340 x 11

gatorcpa

Hi there,

oops, likely a typo in my archive. I browsed my literature once more, and most (unfortunately not all) agree on 1.50 x 11.5 x 0.135mm. The strenght 0.14mm is recorded for early variants, up to the 280 in most sources. I'll correct it soon.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Last edited by Roland Ranfft; October 16th, 2014 at 15:08.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Could it be that some (other) part of the watch (than the escapement) is resonating particularly well?

Hartmut Richter

Interesting thought. I'm not sure that what other part of the watch would do that though. And the 3 piece case fits together very tightly. It is definitely escapement sounds. I have my timing machine back and the amplitude is at 313 degrees, which is the highest I have gotten any of these 30mm Omegas to go. Also I had to set the gain lower than normal to get readings on the timing machine. I can't find any defect in the way it's running. If you would take a mechanical watch and slightly rotate the crown to put additional tension in the wheel train, this is about the volume it's at.

I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it, so to speak. I'm guessing the .135 strength is correct, but the .05 increase can't make that much of a difference. I also have very sensitive hearing and rarely wear my Accutrons anymore because the humming drives me nuts. Does anyone know what the expected amplitude of this movement in proper running order is? I seem to rarely get these to go above 280 degrees.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Basically, all parts of the watch are connected - nothing floats around in there (or should!). As a result, the ticking will be transmitted everywhere throughout the watch and any part could resonate. But you are right, it could well be the escapement itself. And the amplitude is about the maximum it should be so that the hammering of the pallets and the transmission stone is particularly hard.....

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information